Old Fashioned Caramel Corn
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use coconut oil which is very light and tasty)
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels (I use blue corn that is non-GMO)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons roasted peanut oil (or coconut oil)
- Kosher salt
- (optional) 1/2 cup raw peanuts
- Put the oil and popcorn kernels in a large pot. Cover with lid. Heat over medium-high heat, moving/shaking the pot over the burner until there are several seconds between pops. Pour the popcorn to a large bowl.
- Wipe out the pot to remove extra popcorn shells and oil. Add the sugar, corn syrup, molasses, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the optional peanuts. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until a candy thermometer registers 290 degrees F or soft crack, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the popcorn until coated. Transfer the caramel corn to the oiled baking sheet and let cool, then break into small pieces and fill your prepared popcorn cones.
Lia Griffith http://liagriffith.com/