Papercrafting is our original love. We are always impressed with the amazing 3D projects that you can make with such a simple material. As you know, we love crepe paper for creating gorgeous flowers and decor, but one paper material that we never seem to use is vellum. So we are slowly changing that! Vellum is slightly translucent, so it captures a texture and color palette that you can’t really find in other paper materials. First we created our lovely silver dollar eucalyptus branch, and now we are showing you how to make a set of origami gems for easy and pretty home decor.
Tools & Materials
- Scissors or Cutting Machine
- Glue Dot Roller
- Start by picking out your vellum. We recommend choosing a few different colors for variety, like clear white, turquoise and light blue.
- Download the SVG if you are using a cutting machine or the PDF if you are cutting by hand. If you are using the PDF, you can actually print the templates directly onto the vellum. We included 4 paper gem designs in total in a couple of different sizes.
- After you trim the templates, use the dotted score lines as a guide for folding the paper to form the crystal shapes. Some of the origami gems have multiple pieces, so pay attention the the numbers marked in the template to know which pieces go with which.
- Glue your gems together along the tabs using glue dots or double stick tape. These are both great options because they will not be visible through the translucent vellum.
Once you finish making your paper crystals, there are lots of things you can do with them. We love the idea of making a cute display on your mantel or shelf. Because some of the gems do not have bottoms, you can stick little flameless tea lights in them to create lanterns. These could even make for some gorgeous DIY wedding decor and centerpiece arrangements. Or, make a handcrafted baby mobile with hanging gems. Get creative with styling and color palettes!
Run With It!
If our origami gems are making you feel inspired, let us know in the comments below! We would love to see how you are styling your paper crystals, so share your photos with us on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia. For another geometric project, check out our paper geodes or brass geometric centerpieces. Visit our membership page to learn more about how we are building a community of creatives all around the world, and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily doses of inspiration. Enjoy! ~ Lia & Team