Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
We originally came up with this DIY dog leash idea as a wedding project – how cute would it be to create a custom leash for your dog if he or she is joining you on your big day?! But of course, you can use this leash for anything, whether it’s for a special occasion or just for the day-to-day. Start by creating the braided rope, then give it some added flair in any way you like. Leather? Paint? Dye? Let’s get started!
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Ruler or Measuring Tape
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Measure the length you want for your leash and add an additional 1/3 of that length. Double this length then cut. Cut a second cord that is the same length.
- Pull one length of rope through the hook and let it hang down.
- Lay the second length of cord under and over the first.
- Starting on the left, braid the cord over, under, then over to the right.
- Repeat with the next most left cord.
- Pull the cord snug and continue braiding.
- Keep braiding until you reach your desired length, plus extra to make a loop for the handle.
- Loop the end of the braid to create the handle and trim. Glue the end in place to secure.
- Cut two pieces of leather about 2 x 3 inches.
- Wrap and glue one piece of leather around the base of the handle.
- Wrap and glue the second piece just above the brass hook.
Follow the photo tutorial below for a visual guide!
You only need three materials for this project and we were able to find both the clothesline and the swivel hook at our local hardware store. While you are crafting your DIY dog leash, we recommend clipping the hook onto something to make braiding easier. Once you finish braiding, you can embellish the leash to give it some more personality. We decided to add leather to ours because we had some nice scraps laying around, but feel free to get creative. You should be able to find leather scraps at your local craft store (like JoAnn Stores or Michaels), or on Etsy. Stay tuned for our leather tassel tutorial, or check out our citrus keychains for another cute idea. To add a keychain, simply attach a thin key ring through the braiding of the rope.
Connect With Us!
We love seeing how our projects can inspire you, so please share your project photos with us by emailing them or tagging them on Instagram with #DIYDreamingWithLia. For more projects that you can make for your pets, check out our collection here. Our projects always feel a bit sweeter when we can get you involved in the creative process, so feel free to add your project requests and suggestions in the comments below! Head over to our membership page to join our crafting community, or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily doses of DIY. Enjoy! ~ Lia & Team
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member