Macrame is a fun crafting technique that has made a major comeback with the younger generation. Because it is only a series of knots in its most fundamental from, it is a really accessible project for almost anyone, especially adolescents and young adults. This DIY macrame plant hanger is one of those unicorn DIY projects — something that can appeal to all ages, only uses a few materials and crafters at any skill level can easily make. Score!
This was originally made for our paper mache string of pearls plant, but now we are giving you the tutorial to make this plant holder for any of your botanicals. We are also excited to share that this project was featured by FaveCrafts in their article, “12+ Macrame Plant Hanger Tutorials.”
Tools & Materials
- Cotton Rope
- 2″ Wood Ring
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut three 54″ pieces of rope.
- Fold in half and tie onto the wood ring by creating a loop and pulling through (this is called a Larkshead knot).
- Starting 7″ down from the top ring, tie a half knot.
- Tie a second half knot in the reverse direction.
- Pull from either side to secure the knot.
- Tie three knots in total.
- Tie another series of knots 3 inches down from that row.
- At 4.5 inches down from that, gather all six ropes and tie a large knot.
- Trim the rope at the bottom of the planter.
Macrame tends to be a very visual process, so follow along with our DIY macrame plant hanger photo tutorial below!
We found our pink rope from Fabric Depot, but you should be able to find something similar at any craft store. If you want to add an extra element of DIY to this plant hanger, feel free to buy white rope and dip dye it with your favorite colors. Play around with rope in different thicknesses to create different looks. Once you are finished, add in a succulent or botanical, or make one out of paper to display in your new plant hanger!
For a more detailed macrame plant hanger, find our braided holder here. Browse through all of our macrame projects for inspiration, and share your project photos with us using #DIYDreamingWithLia so we can admire your makes! Join our community of creatives to start discovering your unique creativity, then follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to keep updated on our latest projects. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.