Transform your typical movie night at home by taking it outside! This DIY outdoor movie screen is a great summertime craft—and it’s super simple to make. It’s also easy to hang up and store when not in use. You can secure this screen to pretty much any outdoor surface (we chose our fence). When you’re ready to take the screen down, just roll it up, and store it somewhere dry.
Once you’re done crafting your outdoor movie screen, settle in for the night with some cozy cushions and blankets, your favorite people, and all of the snacks you love treating yourself to when you go to the movies! You can even create themes for your movie nights—like this popcorn party, which includes printable popcorn boxes, stickers for your candy jars, and other fun ideas. If movie night is a weekly activity at your home, this is a good way to keep it exciting. And if you’re inviting people over, you’ll want to check out these free printable invitations!
Bring the Magic of Movies to Your Backyard
This DIY outdoor movie screen makes us think about movies in the park—do you have those in your city? It’s one of the things we love about Portland! But with this craft, you always get to pick the movie you want, and you can enjoy movies outside anytime from the comfort of your own home.
Another great thing about this DIY craft is how much joy it will bring to your friends and family! There’s something magical about creating an outdoor movie theater and watching your favorite films at dusk. Plus, it’s always fun to switch up your regular routine! Once you make your outdoor movie screen, be sure to tell us how it went in the comments below. In the meantime, we want to know—what’s your favorite movie and go-to snack?
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- White Bed Sheet, Twin (70″ x 98″)
- 1.5″ Ribbon, 8 Feet
- 2 Wood Dowels. 1.5″ x 72″
- 2 Solid Brass Grommets, 1/2″ (included in Grommet Kit)
- Cut ribbons to 4 strips, each 24″ long, and set 2 aside. Fold other 2 in half, then sew at 2″ mark. Add a large grommet to both ribbons between fold and stitch.
- Fold 1 white twin bed sheet in half lengthwise; sew bottom edges together along the seam.
- Open stitched layers to show inside edge. Use scissors to open inside layer of large pre-sewn sheet top. This is where you’ll slide your bottom dowel.
- At center fold, measure 2.5″ and sew across.
- Slide first down into stitched center fold.
- Double knot tie grommeted ribbons onto two ends of top dowel. Trim ends.
- Slide second dowel into cut inside pocket. Add 2 ribbons on both ends of lower dowel and double knot to keep in place. Trim ends of ribbons.
- Hang movie screen onto outdoor fence or wall.
Find Quick & Easy Project Ideas That Deliver Endless Entertainment
Whether you’re a long-time crafter or just starting out, we are here to help you explore your creativity with daily inspiration, downloadable cut files, and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower us. All of our designs are created with simplicity in mind, and we always strive to provide you with high-quality DIYs that you’ll love to make. But really, we want to know what crafts you’re working on! Share what you’ve been up to with the LGM community by using #MadeWithLia — your creativity is our biggest inspiration.
Sign Up for a Membership to Get Special Perks
Looking for even more craft inspiration and DIY ideas? Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY project tutorials complete with pattern downloads and instructions. Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy crafting! ~ Lia and Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.