It’s time for a new winter holiday stuffie! Since we’ve made a classic felt reindeer in the past, Krista designed a new felt nordic reindeer (or what we know as caribou in North America). For those of you who don’t know, Krista has family from Finland, and she has quite a few reindeer things around her house year-round!
Due to the 3D construction and detailed antlers, this felt nordic reindeer is a great intermediate project and is similar to our felt moose. When you’re ready to get started, check out our tools and materials list below, then download our pattern and tutorial.
Make it Rein
This felt nordic reindeer is inspired by the reindeer in norther nordic Lapand, which are domesticated, herded, and even raced. Our tutorial will help you capture just how cute this reindeer is. And — for that extra level of cuteness — Krista added an embroidered harness with decorative flowers and a tiny jingle bell.
When you’re done crafting this stuffie, be sure to share it with us on our Facebook page for members or by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram. If you need decorating ideas, we think it would make really cute holiday decor along with our mini felt trees and felt gingerbread house. Or you can always craft it as a gift!
Skill level: Intermediate
Stitches used: Blanket, whip, straight, french knots, and detached chain stitches. Need more guidance? Check out our embroidery guide for tutorials.
Crafting Tips: New to crafting felt animal stuffies and want to learn more? Take our mini course, 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Stuffing Tool
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Oyster, Cotton, Malachite, Juniper, and Hazelnut
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Mocha Brown (3752), Light Brown(434), Ultra Very Light Mocha Brown (3866), Black (310), Dark Celadon Green (3815), Blue Green (502), and Very Light Shell Pink (224)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Black Safety Eyes — 6mm
- 24-Gauge Paper Covered White Wire
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- Tacky Glue
- Tiny Jingle Bell — about 6mm
How to Make a Felt Nordic Reindeer
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine or scissors.
- Sew the legs to the underside piece using 2 strands of the tan embroidery floss and a whip stitch, working from what will be the inside of the legs. Match and follow the curve of the leg openings, and ensure that the legs are facing the right way.
- Repeat this for all of the legs.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.