We got a lot of great submissions this month for August’s Member Make Challenge! We were happy to see so many of our annual members get really creative with their Icelandic poppy flowers. A lot of you used different coloring techniques and some even used balled-up crepe paper to create the centers of your flowers. We’re so impressed and can’t wait to see what you create next!
As promised, I’ve chosen some of your submissions to be featured on our site as well as our Instagram and Facebook pages. Make sure to scroll down to see which ones I selected! You’ll also find more info on the September Member Make Challenge.
September Member Make Challenge: Crepe Paper Red Charm Peony
I have a lot of favorite flowers, but the peony is definitely towards the top of the list! For the September Member Make Challenge, I will show you how to make this beautiful red charm peony using crepe paper. The red charm peony is known for its large, ruffled flowers, rich texture, and bold red color. You can see how it’s done and follow along on YouTube Live. And remember, you don’t have to make it exactly how I do! Feel free to choose the colors or shades you like best, use different techniques, make more than one flower, incorporate them in a bouquet, and so on.
How to Join the September Challenge
- Become an annual member (if you haven’t already) and join our annual member Facebook page. You will receive an email on Thursday, September 6 with the pattern for this peony and a link to the YouTube Live.
- Gather the tools and materials listed below to be ready for the live video. You will find the pattern on the annual member Facebook page (or in the email we’ve sent you). You can cut your pieces as noted on the pattern ahead of time, if you would like to make your peony along with me.
- Tune in on Friday, September 7 at 12:00 p.m. PST to craft with me LIVE on our YouTube channel. You can find the link to the YouTube Live tutorial on the annual member Facebook page and in your email.
- If you have questions during the live lesson, feel free to ask them during our YouTube Live or on our social media pages.
- If you can’t make the live video, don’t worry! You can always watch the playback on our annual member Facebook page.
- Create your personalized version of our Member Make Challenge of the month and submit a picture of your peony to our main Facebook page with the hashtag #SeptemberMemberMake.
- The deadline to submit your photo is Wednesday, September 26 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
- When you submit your peony photo to our Facebook page, be sure to add a little blurb about your experience making this flower. We’d love to share how you felt crafting with the rest of the community!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Find more information here.
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper — Merlot, Ruby or Cherry
- Lia Griffith Double Sided Crepe Paper — Fern & Moss
- Green Floral Tape
- 18-gauge Stem Wire (Paper Covered Thick is ideal; if not, then Paper Covered Floral Wire)
- 24-gauge Green Paper Covered Wire
- White Craft Glue