About once a year we like to design a new plant hanger that you can make for either your paper plants or real plants. Although we have used macrame cord and clay before, this is the first time we’ve combined them to create an air plant hanger.
Like most of our other plant hangers, this is a great macrame project for beginners. Just follow our tutorial below and let us know if you have any questions!
I’ll be air for you
Our clay macrame air plant hanger holds two air plants and has a wooden ring for easy hanging. We typically like to use neutral colors for our macrame wall hangings (except this one time when we made this bright pink macrame plant hanger!). But you can always make your air plant hanger using a different color of macrame cord or clay.
This is such a beautiful way to display your air plants, so we’d love to see how you get creative with this DIY project! Be sure to share photos on our Facebook page for members or by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram.
Skill level: Beginner
Crafting tip: Half knot spiral and wrapped knot. Need more guidance? Check out our mini course with video tutorials for these two knots.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- 4mm Gray Blue Macrame Cord
- DAS Air-Hardening Modeling Clay — White
- Wooden Beads — 1″ bead with 3/8″ hole
- Wooden Ring — 70mm
How to Make a Clay Macrame Air Plant Hanger
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Roll out the clay to 1/4” thick, then cut out the two shapes according to the template notes using a detail knife.
- Set the two clay shapes on their sides arranging them into a “C” shape then leave to dry overnight.
- Once dry sand the clay smooth with a fine grit sandpaper.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.