Every month, we show you how to make a new paper plant or felt plant. And as you may know, I love ferns! I recently brought a bird’s nest fern into the studio and Meagan decided it would be fun to recreate. So today we’re showing you how to make your own crepe paper bird’s nest fern.
This paper plant is a great craft project for beginners — just download our paper fern template below if cutting by hand. Or you can use your Cricut Maker with our SVG cut file.
If you caught our Instagram stories yesterday, you got a little behind-the-scenes sneak peek of Meagan using a real plant to guide her design of the leaves for our crepe paper bird’s nest fern. We are always inspired by the plants and flowers we see — and there are so many varieties to try and recreate. Figuring out how to make it easier for you to craft your favorites is something we love to do, so if you ever have any requests, just let us know!
Ready to get started? Just follow our photo tutorial and you will see how easy it is to make this crepe paper bird’s nest fern. One tip we have is to stretch and ruffle the edges while the ModPodge is still drying. Also, if you have never used PanPastel or markers to color your paper leaves before, this is a simple project to try out that technique.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper — Botanical Garden: Clover
- Blick Studio Brush Markers — Leaf Green (048)
- 24-Gauge Green Paper Covered Wire
- PanPastel — Bright Yellow Green Shade (680.3)
- Mod Podge
- Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
- Floral Foam & Small Rocks
How to Make a Crepe Paper Bird’s Nest Fern
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the fern template below.
- Cut crepe according to the template using scissors or a cutting machine.
- Use tacky glue to glue the wire down the center of the leaf.
- Add PanPastel to both sides of leaf using a paint brush or an art sponge.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here.
If you’re looking for more easy crafts like this one, check out our paper arrowhead vine and our paper zig-zag cactus. If you’re ready for more of a challenge, try our paper rattlesnake plant or our polka-dot begonia plant.
Haven’t joined our crafting community yet? Membership gives you access to thousands of DIY templates, SVG files, photo tutorials, and more. Come get creative with us!