One of the benefits of crafting a design by hand is that you can create something that you wouldn’t be able to find anywhere else. DIY is all about customization! This is a project that we have been so excited to share for a while. It really showcases the gorgeous possibilities of handcrafting your home decor, plus it is actually a pretty simple process. If you want to add some more floral accents to your home, spend an afternoon crafting up this stunning flower pendant light!
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- 2 Small Paintbrushes
- Crepe Paper [Floristic: Gold Satin; Double Sided: Ferns + Moss]
- 20 Gauge Floral Wire
- Floral Tape
- Green Art Marker
- Gold Foil
- Mod Podge Glue
- Light Bulb
- Single Pendant Light
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template at the bottom of this post and cut your crepe paper according to the pattern.
- Glue a length of cloral wire between two petal pieces with a slight overlap to create a seam.
- Apply Mod Podge onto the base and tip of the crepe petals using a paintbrush. Add gold foil, pressing into the creases of paper. Let the foil dry, then brush away any excess foil with a clean brush. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for all 6 petals.
- Glue and gather the base of the each petal around their respective wires. Gather the base of the greed sepal pieces and glue in a similar fashion (see photo tutorial below).
- Gently stretch the centers of the petals, then curl the tips of the petals outward with the edge of your scissors.
- Stagger the petals around the top of the light, where the base meets the cord.
- Glue the petals into place onto the light socket. To secure the floral wires to the cord, glue a small strip of crepe paper around the base of the flower.
- Glue the 5 green sepal pieces around the cord in a star shape.
- Use floral tape to completely cover the wire and the base of the sepals. Add a touch of color to the base of the sepals with a green marker
This project is pretty straightforward – the most time consuming part will be to cut out your petals and then to foil the tips. If you are new to crepe paper crafting, watch our Crepe 101 video for guidance on cutting and stretching your petals. You will find that crepe is a very forgiving material when you’re cutting it, which is part of why we like it so much. We made our flower using our floristic crepe in Gold Satin, but feel free to make these in different colors! Once you are finished, we love the idea of using this flower pendant light as a beautiful hanging bedroom lamp. Or think about how breathtaking a row of these blooming pendant lights would be at a wedding reception!
Crepe paper is our favorite material for making paper flowers, so you can browse through all of our crepe paper flower tutorials to find your favorites to craft next. You can also use this project as inspiration for making jumbo flowers of your own. If you are interested in making other types of DIY pendant lighting, find our Edison style chandelier tutorial. We always love including you in the creative process, so please share your project requests and ideas with us in the comments below! Head to our membership page to start crafting with us, or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily glimpses into our studio. Tag your project photos with #DIYDreamingWithLia for a chance to be featured! See you soon ~ Lia & Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.