As we continue our series of DIYs for pets, we are excited to show you this super simple project that you can make for your dogs – a DIY dog bandana! The project is really quick, and you have the opportunity to customize it with different fabrics to match your dog’s personality. Once you are finished you can even pair it with our stylish DIY dog leash! Become a member to download the pattern and instructions today!
- Sewing Pins
- Sewing Needle
- Sewing Machine
- About 3/4 yard each of two contrasting fabrics (amount depends on size of bandana)
- Matching Thread
- Dog Collar
- Gather tools and materials listed above.
- Choose your bandana size and print the PDF template at the bottom of the post. Fold your fabric in half and cut according to the pattern.
- Repeat with the second piece of fabric.
- Unfold the fabric, stack with right sides facing, iron and pin together.
- Sew around the edge with a sewing machine, leaving a 3″ opening to flip. Clip the point of the triangle on either end for a crisper point when flipped.
- Flip, iron and hand sew the opening closed.
- Fold in half so that 1″ of contrasting fabric is visible. Iron, pin and sew across according to the pattern to create the pocket. Make sure the pocked is big enough that the collar can easily slip through.
- Thread the collar through the pocket.
Follow the photo tutorial below for a visual guide to crafting your DIY dog bandana!
We found our ikat fabric from our local fabric store, but you can choose any fabric that appeals to you. Ours was a light to medium weight cotton fabric so that it would be easy to wash if it gets dirty. There are three different sizes of our bandana template depending on your dog’s size. Our model Hazel is wearing a large is it’s a little big for her! If you do not have a sewing machine, you can also easily stitch this by hand, although it will take much longer. Make a couple of bandanas so that you can switch them out for different seasons!
Browse through all of our DIYs for pets for more inspiration, or head to our membership page to start crafting with us. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily doses of DIY, and always feel free to share your project photos with us using #DIYDreamingWithLia. We love featuring out favorites! To get in on the creative process, add a comment below with your project requests and suggestions. See you soon! ~ Lia & Team