Your New Desk Friend
I recently did a fun collaboration with Real Simple Magazine to create these adorable DIY paper succulents. These little beauties are a wonderful project for anyone new to DIY and papercrafting. Making them is as easy as cutting out the leaves and securing them together with hot glue. And at the end of your craft project you will have these adorable botanicals you can display as cheery desk decor!
- Scissors or Cutting Machine
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Wire Cutters
- Text Weight Metallic Paper (purple and two shades of green)
- Matching Art Markers
- 20 Gauge Floral Wire
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the template at the bottom of the post and cut your paper according to the template.
- Use markers to shade the tips of the succulent leaves.
- Curl the succulent leaves gently as shown.
- For the bigger succulent, glue and cross over the tabs at the base.
- Bigger succulent: glue together 3 of the biggest leaves at the base. Poke the floral wire through the middle of the base and make a small loop at the top. Glue in place.
Spiky succulent: poke wire through the biggest piece and make a small loop at the end. Glue in place.
Scallop edge succulent: glue a length of floral wire between two leaves.
- Glue and stack succulent pieces biggest to smallest.
- Place foam in a vase or container with dried moss on top, then poke the succulents into place.
We specifically used Ruby, Botanic and Lime Satin colors for our 3 DIY paper succulents. If you have a cutting machine, use the SVG version of the template below. Follow our photo tutorial as you craft, or you can watch the fun instructional video we filmed with Real Simple! As you can see in the video, we used Copic brand art markers in Blue Violet, Grass Green and Veronese Green. Make a cute little potted plant or craft more succulents to make a more elaborate display! Another idea is to add some of these into a terrarium.
Connect with Us!
We love seeing your versions of our projects, so please share your photos with us using #DIYDreamingWithLia on Instagram! If you want to get in on the fun with us, tell us your project ideas and suggestions in the comments below, or head over to our membership page to start crafting with us. Browse through all of our paper botanicals for more inspiration or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for inspiration in your newsfeed. Enjoy! ~ Lia & Team
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.