Of course we have a special love for every one of the projects on our site, but there are always those projects that we get especially excited to share. This pressed flower vase is one of them! Crafting with dried petals is a gorgeous opportunity for customizing your accessories, and it is surprisingly easy to create stunning, original designs. Our maker Jessica used purple asters to bring this vase to life, but you can use any flower that appeals to you. Keep in mind that the petals become slightly larger when you flatten them, so we recommend using a small bloom for this project.
Tools & Materials
- Microfleur Flower Press
- Flowers with small petals
- Vessel of choice
- Mod Podge Glue
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Pull the petals off flowers and place on a felt pad of flower press.
- Close the press and microwave according to the instructions.
- Petals will feel papery when fully pressed.
- Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge where the center of the design will be and gently place the petals on top.
- Paint more Mod Podge and place a second color of petals around the first.
- Attach a third ring of petals (or more depending on the size of the vessel) and then coat the design with Mod Podge.
- Allow to dry and fill with your favorite flowers or plant.
Follow our photo tutorial below for a visual guide as you craft your homemade pressed flower vase.
We used the Microfleur press for convenience, but there are a number of other ways that you can press flowers without having to buy a specific tool. Do a little internet search to find a method that works best for you. The old fashioned way to place the bloom inside a book to flatten and dry it out. This method takes a few weeks, so it just depends on how quickly you want to finish your pressed petal vase! This project is gorgeous for home decor, but we also love it as a DIY gift idea. If you have a loved one with a special love for a particular flower, memorializing it in a vase can be a really thoughtful and unique way to show you care.
Run With It!
Once you get a feel for the pressed flower technique, you can use it to create tons of other beautiful and custom DIYs! Craft a special mug that will inspire you as you drink your morning coffee, or make a keychain that you can carry with you every day. Or how about making simple DIY art pieces by adhering pressed flowers to wood canvas panels? There are so many possibilities! We would love to see how this project is inspiring your own crafts, so be sure to tag us in your photos or email them in so we can admire! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for bite-sized doses of DIY inspiration, or start making with our community of creatives by becoming a member. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team