It is time to begin to craft your Christmas decor! We are introducing a new project for you, this DIY wood nativity scene.
My handcrafted heirloom set has found a cozy home on my fireplace mantle. And a plan to make another few sets to gift to family members who will enjoy them year after year.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Woodpeckers Crafts. All opinions are 100% mine.
A Sweet Little Silent Night
This DIY Wood Nativity Scene has been a project that I have had in my mind for several years. When Woodpeckers Crafts offered their complete library of wooden items, I felt like a kid in the candy store! I began setting up a scene in our craft lab with a box of small wooden items, bringing in my child-like imagination. You can see a behind-the-scenes photo of my process below.
Once I organized all of the wooden pieces that would create the structure of each character, I chose a color palette of wool blend felt and craft paints to add details. To enhance the color of the natural wood, I chose paints in a “wood stained” brown, white, and a pale grey blue. And yes, a touch of gold paint for a bit of sparkle. I picked a soft white and dove grey wool blend felt for added details.
For this project, I wanted to create a simple Scandinavian style that would be easy for anyone to recreate, even in their own color palette.
Let’s Make It!
In the right column, you will find the complete list, with links, of materials I used to create this adorable nativity scene to decorate my mantle this Christmas.
In the download folder, you will find a PDF template for the felt pieces and an SVG if you want to use your cutting machine. There is also a printable PDF with detailed instructions, and I have broken down each item you will use for every character so you can easily follow along.
Let me know in the comments if you are making this set for yourself or as a gift for someone you love. I imagine it is a set that will delight little ones. I know it makes me smile. Isn’t that why we craft? To create joy? And what a perfect time of year to do so.
Happy Christmas Crafting!
P.S. Check out more of our other Woodpeckers Crafts collaborations if you enjoy making wooden craft projects.
Mary, Joseph & Baby Jesus
Shepherds & Sheep
Three Wise Men & Angel
- Kai 5″ Detail Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Princeton Paintbrushes – 4, 6 & 3/4″
- Art Glitter Glue or High-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- 1 Baby Peg Doll – 1 3/8″
- 7 Peg Dolls – 2 3/8″
- 1 Medium Angel Peg Doll – 2 3/8″
- 12 Wooden Balls – 3/8″ (for large hands)
- 15 Wooden Balls – 1/4″ (for small hands & sheep’s feet)
- 2 Wooden Balls – 1/2″ (for Mary’s hair & wise man gift)
- 1 Mini Bowl – 1 1/2″ (for manger)
- 1 Thin Dowel – 1/8″ x 12″ (for staffs)
- 1 Flower Pot – 1/2″ (for wise man gift)
- 1 Toss Ring – 1 1/2″ (for wise man hat)
- 1 Bean Pot Candle Cup – 1″ (for wise man hat)
- 1 Bean Pot Candle Cup – 5/8″ (for wise man gift)
- 1 Spool – 1/2″ (for wise man gift)
- 2 Miniature Bowl – 3/4″ (for wise man & shepherd hats)
- 2 Wren Egg – 7/8″ (for sheep heads)
- Stacking Rainbow – 14.5″x7″x2.75″ (for stable)
- 1 Chunky Star Cutout – (above stable)
- 2-3 Circle Cutout – 4″ (to add height to center of scene)
A Gift "Better Than Pinterest"
Treat yourself to the gift of creativity during our membership sale. You'll get instant access to a collection of 2000+ crafts, 300+ videos, and a FREE Crepe Paper Master Class perfect for beginners. For $79, you'll learn new skills, craft beautiful projects like this, and join a community of crafters just like you! It's better than Pinterest, promise. 😉Become a Member for $79