We love making our own ornaments every year for a couple of reasons. First, it gives us a chance to get creative and come up with new, unique designs. And second, using materials like paper and felt for your ornaments means there’s no danger of them breaking if they fall. Our felt acorn ornaments are a fun addition to your Christmas tree, or you can use them as gift toppers.
When you’re ready to get started, check out our supplies list below. Then download our pattern and tutorial at the very end of the post.
We’re nutty about the holidays
Krista used a palette of soft greens and browns to give these felt acorn ornaments a natural look. You can use the same felt colors we did or explore all of our felt sheets for more ideas. The felt shapes are easy to cut by hand, and our tutorial will show you how to assemble the acorns and add realistic details, like a lattice pattern to the acorn caps and stitched veins to the oak leaves.
Skill level: Beginner/intermediate due to small stitches needed and embroidery detail
Embroidery stitches used: Blanket, whip, ladder, lattice, and double-running stitch. For extra guidance on some of these stitches, check out our free embroidery guide.
Other projects shown: Crepe paper pine cone branches
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Clover Applique Sewing Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Chopstick
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Shady Grove, Olive, Evergreen, Almond, Doe Brown, Hazelnut, and White
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Fern Green (522), Ultra Dark Pistachio Green (890), Light Mocha Beige (3864), Medium Mocha Beige (3863) Light Brown (434), and Snow White (B5200)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Tacky Glue
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
How to Make Felt Acorn Ornaments
- Gather your tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to template, using either your scissors or cutting machine.
- Using 1 strand of matching floss, blanket stitch 2 acorn side pieces together along one edge, starting at the top straight edge.
- Pin on a third side. Continue to blanket stitch along the bottom tip, then up the side, attaching the third piece. Knot off floss at the top.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love these felt acorn ornaments? Add more felt ornaments to your holiday tree! You can also browse all of our Christmas crafts for more DIY decor ideas.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
Absolutely love the new tutorial format!!
Yay! I’m happy to hear that!