Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Any shade of green is my color of choice when I am decorating a room in my house and even here in the studio. Greens are calm and soothing, and a handmade felt appliqué fern pillow adds several shades of tone-on-tone green. It also brings a bit of nature inside the house. Two wins on my home decor checklist!
When you’re ready to make this DIY pillow cover, just scroll down to see the supplies you’ll need and find our pattern at the end of the post. If you like this leaf appliqué design, you might also enjoy our tropical version with a single monstera leaf.
Between Two Ferns
Though this project is beginner friendly, with all of the tiny fern details, it can be time-consuming. You can cut out the ferns on a cutting machine to save some time, but you may need to reshape some edges with a pair of small detail scissors.
Krista has provided a step-by-step tutorial below for you to feel confident as you stitch this heirloom pillow cover. You will use a simple whip stitch to attach the edges of the ferns and a stem stitch down the middle. If you are wanting to practice your whip stitch technique, this felt appliqué fern pillow is the project for you.
Skill level: Beginner
Crafting tip: Love this design but want an even easier version? Use heat transfer vinyl instead of felt for the fern design.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (recommended)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Clover Applique Sewing Pins
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Lia Griffith Wool Blend Felt — Shady Grove and Lichen
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Avocado Green (469), Green Gray (3053), and Dark Hunter Green (3345)
- Tacky Glue
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- Aleene’s Stiffen-Quick Fabric Stiffening Spray
- Olive Green Lumbar Pillow Cover 12”x18”
How to Make a Felt Appliqué Fern Pillow
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to template using scissors or a cutting machine with a rotary blade.
- Lightly spray the fronts of the ferns with a fabric stiffening spray. Let them dry completely.
- Starting with the center, pin the first fern to the middle of the lumbar pillow.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member