This felt cat is one of my favorite projects this month. To me, it is not just an adorable stuffie that kids could play with, but it is also a beautiful piece of art to display in your home. If you’re a cat lover, you will definitely love this project. In fact, Krista modeled this project after her own cat, Charlie!
If you’d like, you can model this little stuffie after your own cat, too. For example, you can customize your felt cat to be a striped tabby, tuxedo, with or without socks, or even just solid colored. The details are up to you and we have a wide range of felt colors so you can get as creative as you want.
Ready to craft your felt cat? Just download our pattern below and follow our step-by-step tutorial. If you need a refresher on the stitches used, make sure to check out our embroidery guide. And don’t forget, you can customize this DIY project to look like your own cat!
Skill level: Intermediate and higher. This project can involve a lot of details depending on what kind of cat you want to make. (Want a beginner project instead? Check out our felt kittens.)
Crafting tips: When using lighter colored felt, you may want to use a thin stabilizer or spray stiffener on the wrong side of your felt pieces because it has a tendency to not be as densely felted compared to darker colors. Stiffening the wrong side will ensure that your stitches do not pull through the felt.
New to crafting felt animal stuffies and want to learn more? Take our mini course, 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Craft Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Stuffing Tool
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Hazelnut, Bark Brown, Cotton, Salmon, and Juniper
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Brown(434), Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938), Ultra Very Light Mocha Brown (3866), and Black (310)
- Black Safety Eyes — 6mm
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
- Tiny Jingle Bell — about 6mm
How to Make a Felt Cat
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine or scissors.
- Whip stitch on the white socks, tail tip, chin piece, and leg stripes to the body of the cat using 1 strand of matching floss (dark brown and white).
- Sew the other half of the felt details to the second body piece, with the design mirrored.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.