Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
How adorable is this felt citrus purse that Krista created? Perfect for teens and tweens, you can make this purse in two shades of pink felt like we did. Or you could easily swap the colors to make a green lime, yellow lemon, or orangey orange purse as well.
This sewing project is a great one for beginners who are already familiar with their sewing machine. Just check out our tools and materials list below to see what you need, then download our pattern and tutorial.
It’s in the bag
Though knowledge of construction is helpful, don’t feel daunted by this DIY idea! This felt citrus purse has a more exposed zipper that is easy to install. And depending on your sewing machine you might not need a zipper foot. The details are mostly sewn on with a machine, but you could also sew by hand with embroidery floss for a hand-stitched look.
Skill level: Beginner (you’ll need to know your way around a sewing machine)
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Sewing Needle
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Clips (recommended)
- Sewing Machine
- Zipper Foot (optional)
- Iron, Ironing Board, and Press Cloth
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — English Rose (2 sheets), Blush, White, and Almond
- All Purpose Sewing Thread (match to your felt colors)
- 12″ All Purpose Zipper — Dark Rose
- 1″ Wide Strap (nylon or cotton)
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- Fray Check
How to Make a Felt Citrus Purse
- Gather tools and materials.
- Cut out felt according to pattern. Follow instructions on PDF for cutting out the large half circle side pieces, and measure and cut out 3″ x 17¾” for the longer side strip of the purse. Note: if you cut out the felt on a Cricut, you will need a longer cutting mat.
- Center the white inner slice piece onto one of the side pieces and pin in place thoroughly. Sew using a sewing machine and matching white thread with a 1/16″ seam allowance, or as close as you can get to the edge.
- Arrange, and then sew on the lighter pink slice details, one at a time, sewing slowly to get around all the corners. Use a matching light pink sewing thread and a 1/16″ seam allowance, or as close as you can get to the edge. Repeat to make the second side of the purse.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member