We are adding a new mythical creature to our stuffie collection! This friendly felt dragon is hand-sewn from three shades of our blueish-green felt for a tonal look, which makes him look a bit like a water dragon. To get started on this project, check out the tools and materials list below. Then download the pattern and tutorial.
Because this felt dragon requires more construction knowledge than some of our other stuffies, this is a great intermediate project.
You don’t need to wing it
As with all of our felt animal stuffies, we have a step-by-step photo tutorial for you to follow along when making your felt dragon. Of course if you have any questions, just reach out. We are always here to help!
To make our felt dragon look more realistic, we stitched both sides of the wings. They are also wired so you can move them. And the spines that run down the neck and back are sewn into the seam.
We think this project will be so fun for anyone who loves mythology, fantasy, and folklore! Whether you craft this felt dragon for yourself or as a gift, we’d love to see your version. So make sure to share it with us on our private Facebook page for members or by tagging #MadeWithLia.
Crafting tip: Try sewing more dragons using red or green colored felts.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Malachite, Misty Morning, Dewy
- PLEASE NOTE: You only need one sheet of each color of felt listed above, but you will need to get creative with your cutting to use every inch! We recommend tracing the full pattern before cutting.
- Embroidery Floss —Very Dark Grey Green (924), Medium Gray Green (926) and Black (310)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Craft Eyes – 6mm
- Pipe Cleaner
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
How to Make a Felt Dragon
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a Cricut Maker or scissors.
- Sew the legs to the underside piece using two strands of matching embroidery floss and a whip stitch, working from what will be the inside of the legs. Match and follow the curve of the leg openings, and ensure that the legs are facing the right way.
- Repeat this step for all of the legs.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.