What animal pops into your head when you think of spring? For us, it’s bunnies, baby chicks, and ducklings! Since we have already made a felt rabbit stuffie and a needle-felted chick, our designer Krista came up with this adorable felt duckling for our March collection.
If you have made some of our felt animal stuffies before or feel ready to take on a more intermediate felt project, then this project is perfect for you! Just download our template and tutorial below to start crafting.
No ugly ducklings here!
Who remembers the story of the ugly duckling? Well, we say there is no such thing! Especially when it comes to this felt duckling with its sweet, little webbed feet and wings.
Since we are loving a more mustardy yellow for spring right now, we used our brassy yellow felt to make this duckling. But if you want a more classic yellow duckling, we would recommend using our Ochre yellow felt. We cannot wait to see your version and what color combos you use, so make sure to share your felt duckling with us by tagging #MadeWithLia or posting photos to our Facebook page for members.
Skill level: Intermediate (but also easier to craft than some of our other intermediate felt stuffies!).
Embroidery stitches used: Whip stitch, blanket stitch, chain stitch, and ladder stitch. Need a refresher? Check out our embroidery guide, which includes tutorials for the first three stitches.
Craft ideas: While this little guy is cute on his own, you could also craft several small ducklings for a DIY nursery mobile.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Craft Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt —Brass, Bark Brown, and Salmon
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Medium Golden Olive (831), Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938), and Black (310)
- Black Safety Eyes — 8mm
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
How to Make a Felt Duckling
- Gather craft tools and materials. Then download our felt duckling pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a Cricut Maker (optional) or scissors.
- Whip stitch the details to the body of the duckling using 1 strand of matching floss (brown and brass). Repeat for the second body piece, mirrored.
- Match up the edges of the underside with one of the body pieces of the duckling. Blanket stitch with 2 strands of matching brass floss along the edge, starting at tail, all the way up to the head. Do not knot off the floss yet.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Looking for some other cute birds to craft? Check out our felt swan stuffie and felt peacock stuffie. If you have little ones at home who would love to craft along with you, take a look at our yarn pom-pom animals for kids.