It has been a few years since we designed our own DIY baby mobile. And even longer since we have made one out of felt. For this month’s craft collection, Krista has created an amazing outer space mobile that will look so cute in a science-themed or space-themed nursery.
If you haven’t done any hand-sewing before, never fear. This is a beginner-friendly project and we will walk you through each step.
Out of this world
Our outer space mobile is made up of various planets, stars, a sun, a comet, and an exploratory spaceship in another universe. Each of the felt elements is threaded with twine and tied to a wooden embroidery hoop, topped with a big felt ball. Although this is a simple project with the help of our pattern and tutorial, it does take some time to cut and assemble all of the parts.
We hope you will share your version of this mobile with us on our private Facebook page for members or by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram! If you have any questions, just comment below.
Skill level: Beginner-friendly
Stitches used: Whip stitch and blanket stitch. See our embroidery guide for tutorials if you need a refresher.
Crafting tip: Our outer space mobile is made out of a color theme of blues, greys, and yellows, but you could easily adjust the colors to fit your nursery.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Tapestry Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Magic Blue, Tidepool, Malachite, Arctic, Misty Morning, Dewy, Ochre, Mustard, Apricot, Ocean Reef, White, Dove, and Slate
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Very Dark Antique Violet (932), Dark Delft Blue (798), Medium Gray Green (926), Ultra Very Light Blue (162), Light Coral (352), Ultra Very Light Mahogany (3856), Very Dark Straw (3852), Medium Yellow (743), Dark Pewter Grey (413), Pearl Grey (415), and Snow White (B5200)
- Embroidery Hoop – 10″
- 2.5cm Wool Ball
- Stuffie Puff (Poly-Fil)
- Tacky Glue
- Cotton Twine
How to Create a Felt Outer Space Mobile
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine or scissors.
- Arrange and whip stitch the felt details onto all of the planets, with the details mirrored on both sides. Use 1 strand of matching floss for the pieces.
- Whip stitch the details onto all of the planets, the comet, and spaceship shown in the tutorial.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.