After brainstorming which felt animal to make this month, Krista decided to go with something tropical to fit into our citrus-themed collection. Our felt toucan stuffie features long, movable legs, a dark grey body, and a light pink beak with citrusy orange markings.
To get started on this project, check out our tools and materials list below. Then download our felt toucan pattern and photo tutorial to learn how to assemble this adorable stuffie.
Just Wing It
Because there are a lot of colored details to layer and sew on, we would say this felt toucan falls somewhere between a beginner and intermediate skill level. But luckily, you don’t have to wing it! Our tutorial will guide you through each step and you can always reach out if you have questions.
One thing that makes this felt toucan a little different than some of our other stuffies is its long legs. You will see in our tutorial how we created the legs by wrapping felt around flexible cotton cording. We also used this technique with our felt flamingo, which would make a cute addition to this DIY craft!
Skill level: Beginner-intermediate
Stitches used: Whip, blanket, back, and double-running. For step-by-step tutorials on these stitches, check out our embroidery guide.
Crafting Tips: New to crafting felt animal stuffies and want to learn more? Take our mini course, 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Stuffing Tool
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Blush, English Rose, Tangerine, Mango, Dewy, Charcoal, White, and Black
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Ultra Very Light Dusty Rose (963), Very Light Plum (3608), Medium Tangerine (741), Deep Canary (972), Light Antique Blue (932), Snow White (b5200), Black (310), and Dark Pewter Grey (413)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Tacky Glue
- Cotton Cording
How to Make a Felt Toucan
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine (optional) or scissors.
- Whip stitch the white details onto the underside and side body pieces using 1 strand of white floss.
- Whip stitch on the yellow and then the black circles for the eyes using 1 strand of floss to match the felt.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love working with felt? Check out all of our felt crafts here. Or find more felt animal stuffies you can make. We love seeing what you choose to craft, so make sure to share photos with us on our Facebook page for members or by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
HI & HAPPY ! to all of you.
I’m guessing you have colored the templates thinking to make the pieces more easily identifiable or something like that – but I’m thinking that printing these out for use will blow through a large amount of quite expensive printer ink – so could you offer the outline version & the color for whoever might prefer that?
Wonderful ideas & projects as always. Thank you.
Hi Lynn! The PDF template includes both the color and the outline. This is a great solution since you can pick which pages you print and use the color version as a reference even if you print the outline. Enjoy making this adorable project and share your photos. 😉