It’s no secret how much we love our felt animal stuffies, and our designer Krista is at it again with more adorable friends for your little ones – here is our felt turtle family, complete with an irresistible baby turtle that we have named Squirt! These sea turtles are a great craft project for practicing embroidery stitching, and once you are finished you can gift them to your kids as summer goodies.
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Sea Green, Mint, Juniper, Black
- Embroidery Floss – DMC Very Dark Sea Green (3812), Light Bright Green (3851), Avocado Green (469), Dark Wedgewood (3842), Black (310)
- Pen or Fabric Marker
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template at the bottom of the post and cut out felt pieces according to pattern.
- Whip stitch the shell pieces into place using a single strand of matching embroidery floss or thread. You can arrange the pieces prior to sewing and add a dab of glue to hold into place temporarily.
- Make a french knot in the center hexagon using a full 6 strands of blue embroidery floss (this knot was wrapped around the needle 3 times, pulled tight). Mark 2 dots above the knot with a pen or fabric marker. See our french knot video below for guidance!
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
As you can see, there are two sizes included in the template, so choose your favorite size or make both for variety! If you are new to felt crafting, we recommend watch our Felt 101 video for a tutorial on blanket stitching and whip stitching. You can also find lazy daisy and french knot video tutorials below. We love this felt turtle project because it is great practice for beginner seamstresses and embroiderers!
Run With It!
To explore more embroidery techniques, don’t miss our embroidery basics video and our Beginner’s Guide to Embroidery Basics to get you started. If you love making felt animals and stuffies, find our entire collection here! We love getting you in on the creative process, so don’t hesitate to add your feedback and suggestions to the comments below. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily glimpses of what we’re up to, or become a part of our crafting community by heading over to our membership page. We can’t wait to see how you’ll be inspired! Enjoy ~ Lia & Team