We are quickly falling in love with this project from our growing collection of DIYs for pets. Here is our take on a classic fishing pole cat toy – and we love how adorably colorful it turned out to be! Making this DIY cat toy is super simple, and it could be a great opportunity to introduce basic hand stitching to your little ones.
- Wool/Wool Blend Felt
- Matching Embroidery Floss
- 16-inch Wooden Dowel
- Acrylic Craft Paint
- Cotton Clothesline or Thin Rope
- Catnip or Poly-fill
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template below and cut felt pieces according to pattern.
- Glue felt head pieces to the body. Sew French knots with black embroidery floss to create the fish eyes (see video below for French knot tutorial).
- Begin blanket stitching around the edge of the fish with matching floss, leaving a small opening. Add catnip inside.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
Before starting this project you can head down to your local craft store to pick up your supplies. If you want to brush up on some of your stitching skills, find our Felt 101 video for guidance on blanket stitches. Or, watch our video below to learn how to sew a French knot. We know that some cats may not be particularly into catnip, so you are welcome to fill the felt fish with poly-fill instead. You can also use this fishing pole cat toy template to simply make felt fish!
To make a whole collection of DIY cat toys, check out our felt mouse or felt sushi projects. Browse through all of our DIYs for pets (including those pet dish mats in the photos!), or give us your requests and suggestions for more fun pet projects in the comments below! Find our felt projects for DIY inspiration, or head over to our membership page to get in on the crafty fun with us. We love admiring your gorgeous makes, so share your project photos with us on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia. Until next time! ~ Lia & Team