When we think about possibilities for St. Patrick’s Day crafts, a few obvious ideas come to mind. Anything using the color green, anything with a shamrock design, or anything related to leprechauns! The old story goes that if you come across a leprechaun, you will be granted 3 wishes. So we decided to create our own cute characters to bring good luck with us wherever we go. DIY peg dolls are one of those craft projects that has been popular for generations, and we love that making this leprechaun peg doll can have that added element of nostalgia. Grab your little ones and let’s get crafting!
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Sewing Needle
- Small Paintbrush
- Iron (to adhere gold iron-on)
- Wood Doll Bodies
- Wool/Wool Blend Felt
- Matching Embroidery Floss
- Black Craft Paint
- Gold Glitter Iron On
- Gather tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template and cut your felt pieces according to the pattern.
- Blanket stitch the shirt and pants closed, short ends together, using green embroidery floss.
- Straight stitch around the top of the shirt, leaving the ends unknotted. Slip the shirt, then pants, over the doll body. Pull strings tight like a drawstring bag in the back. Knot and tuck the ends inside. You can add a dot of glue to hold both felt pieces in place if needed.
- Blanket stitch the side of the hat closed on the short side. Blanket stitch the small circle to the top.
- Stuff poly-fill in the top of the hat. Attach the rim of the hat with hot glue, then fold the cut tabs into the hat.
- Use an iron to attach gold iron-on to the felt. Glue the long strip around the base of the hat.
- Glue the collar down onto coat. Next glue on the coat, hat and beard.
- Glue the belt and buckle onto the body. Use the end of a paintbrush to paint eyes.
- Sew four lines out from the center of the clover. Tuck the stem behind the belt to hold in place.
As always, we love recommending Benzie Design, Felt on the Fly and A Child’s Dream Come True as our favorite sources for felt. For guidance on stitching with felt, head over to our Felt 101 video. If you want to use your leprechaun peg doll as a good luck charm that you can carry with you, all you need to do is turn it into a keychain is add a little eye hook. Because luck isn’t limited to St. Patrick’s Day!
Browse through all of our St. Patrick’s Day crafts for more leprechaun inspiration, like our leprechaun candy huggers. Always feel free to write in with suggestions for projects you would like to see next on the site, or find our membership page to join in on our crafting community. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily doses of inspiration, and sign up for our newsletter to have projects delivered right to your inbox. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team