Now that we’re done designing our Thanksgiving crafts, we can finally get to all of the Christmas crafts we want to make! Who else is excited to start crafting for Christmas? Today we’re sharing how to make a mini felt Christmas tree, designed by our felt expert Krista.
This is a great beginner felt project with some easy embroidery. And you can get started on it right away using our downloadable pattern and step-by-step tutorial below. Although it is simple, it is a bit time-consuming — but it’s worth it!
A Poplar Christmas Craft
Mini trees are a popular Christmas decoration that are simple to make. So before you buy any, we say try making this felt Christmas tree first! Or you can have a look through all of our mini Christmas trees to get more ideas for your holiday display.
For this project, our designer Krista used three different shades of green felt to give her mini Christmas trees some variety. You can craft as many as you want and in whatever colors you want for your mantel. Or if you don’t have a fireplace, you can place them on an end table or console. When you’re done crafting your felt trees, pair them with some cute felted wool snowballs and our felt reindeer for an even cuter display.
Ready to start? Find all of the tools and materials linked below. Then download our instructions and pattern to begin! If you have any questions, just leave us a comment. Happy Christmas crafting! ~ Lia and team
Skill level: Beginner
Stitches used: Blanket and fly stitch. Need extra guidance? Check out our embroidery guide.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Evergreen, Eucalyptus, and Spruce (one 12×18″ sheet of each)
- Embroidery Floss – Very Dark Blue Green (500), Fern Green, and Blue-Green
- Fabric Pen – Dritz Disappearing Ink
- E6000 Glue
- Wood Slices – 2.5″ diameter
- Wood Dowels – 1/4″
How to Make a Felt Christmas Tree
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download our mini tree pattern below.
- Cut the wooden dowel down to 6″ long using branch cutters or a wood saw.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a Cricut Maker or scissors.
- On one of the “branches” of a felt tree, draw a line down the middle using a disappearing ink fabric pen. Use this line as a guide for your continuous fly stitches. Starting at the end, sew a fly stitch using two strands of embroidery floss. Be careful not to sew too close to the edge.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.