(Fern)ished by the Forest
Staghorns are one of our absolute favorite forest botanics. Bring this unique fern inside your own home to give your walls some greenery and fresh air. We used our double-sided crepe paper and mod podge to achieve the unbelievably realistic gloss on our mounted staghorn fern. You can create your own life-like staghorn fern by following our easy breezy steps below.
Click here for our beginner’s guide on how to make crepe paper flowers.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Click here for more information.
- Double Sided Crepe Paper – Lia Griffith “Ferns + Moss”
- PanPastel – Bright Yellow Green Shade (680.3)
- Art Sponge
- Mod Podge
- Paper Covered Floral Wire – 20 Gauge
- Wood Square – 12×12″
- Foam Ball Half – 4.5”
- Gather the tools and materials.
- Take 2 pieces of 3×10” crepe and glue a piece of wire in between the two, allow at least 3” of wire to come out one side of the crepe.
- Take the crepe paper with the wire glued in between and paint both sides with mod podge.
- Cut the crepe following the patten, the wire should run through the middle of the leaf with the wire coming out at the base.
- Use an art sponge to shade the tops of the leaves with a light green shade of PanPastel.
- Glue the halved foam sphere to the center of the wood board using hot glue.
- Glue the moss to the foam sphere and cover it completely using hot glue.
- Push the wire end of the leaves into the foam, use wire cutters to trim the wire shorter if needed. Arrange the leaves in a circle with the smallest leaves in the center – we suggest looking at photos of the real plant to help with arranging.
Flaunt Your Flower Power!
Share what you’ve been up to by using #MadeWithLia . We love seeing the creative magic you conjure so strut your stuff and flaunt those project photos for all to see — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
We’re here to help you explore your creativity with daily inspiration, downloadable cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower us. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIY’s.
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY project tutorials complete with pattern downloads and instructions. Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Enjoy ~ Lia & Team