To compliment our DIY mermaid costume, we bring you this no-sew simple-to-craft felt mermaid headband. Gather the tools and materials listed below, and follow our step-by-step photo tutorial to easily craft this pretty accessory today! This Halloween, channel some magic from under the sea…
Tools & Materials
- Scissors or Cutting Machine
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Felt – Benzie Design in Blush, Peach, Moss, Fern and Aqua, A Child’s Dream in Salmon
- Art Markers – Copic Sketch in Light Prawn (R22), Pink (RV11), Yellowish Beige (Y23) and Bush (BG96)
- Small Plastic Pearl Beads – 2 sizes
- White Seed Beads
- Blue Sequins
- Green Headband
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut out the felt according to the pattern — You can cut out as many pieces as you want, depending on how lush you want your headband to be. Our headband had one of each seashell with two bigger seaweed leaves, five medium and two of the smallest.
- Add details by shading or drawing on the felt pieces using art markers. Pick colors that are a bit darker than the felt for an understated look.
- Glue the cut out felt to the headband starting with the bigger seaweed pieces glued along the headband, then the smaller on top radiating up and out from the center. Glue the bigger seashells clustered on top with the smaller ones on the side.
- Next, glue sequins onto the blue seaweed. We used blue sequins from our mermaid costume fabric to match.
- Lastly, glue the blue seaweed behind the other layers on the headband. Glue on different sized plastic pearl beads and seed beads to embellish.
More to Explore
For more DIY costumes, browse our website here!
Connect with us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and sign up for your Lia Griffith membership today. Questions? Comments? We want to hear from you! Use #MadeWithLia and share photos of your latest projects with us — you are our greatest inspiration. Much love ~ Lia & Team