We have always loved feather designs here at Lia Griffith HQ, so when designer Jessica from Bramble Workshop presented these beauties to us we were more than excited. A project that combines soft tissue with metallic accents? Yes please! These tissue paper feathers provide that extra dose of pretty to any sort of centerpiece display you may be crafting, plus they are super easy and fun to make.
- Lia Griffith Frosted Tissue Paper – Americana Pack (white)
- 18 Gauge Cloth Stem Wire
- Mod Podge
- Metallic Acrylic Paint
- Gather tools and materials listed above.
- Cover your work area and spread out and flatten a piece of tissue paper. Dip chip brush in a small amount of slightly diluted acrylic paint. Brush the paint in steady vertical strokes across the surface of the paper. Experiment with different quantities of paint until you get the right amount.
- When dry, fold the tissue in half and glue together with slightly diluted Mod Podge. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with your second metallic paint color to make the next feather.
- Print the PDF template below to use as a guide for cutting your tissue paper feathers. Align the brushstrokes on the tissue with the angled brushstrokes indicated on the template.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Just like our decoupage eggs, we recommend using Liquitex Soft Body Acrylic in Iridescent Rich Gold and Bronze to create your tissue paper designs. You should be able to find this at your local craft store or online. There is no need to be precise or consistent with your brushstrokes across the entire piece of tissue. You can pick different areas of the paper to make different feathers. Variety is beautiful! When gluing the tissue sheets together, let the glue dry completely before cutting your feathers out. The length of your wire will depend on the size of your feathers, but we generally recommend that it should run about 3/4 the length of the feather, plus an extra inch for the stem.
When you are finished with your feathers, you can string them together in a garland, use them as gorgeous gift toppers, arrange them into a centerpiece or even use them for DIY wedding decor. Feather designs are super versatile so get creative! Browse all of our feather designs on the site for inspiration, or head over to our membership page to start downloading. We would love to see how you are using these tissue paper feathers in your DIY projects, so please share your project photos with us by using #MadeWithLia on Instagram! We can’t wait to see what inspires you 🙂 Until next time ~ Lia & Team