Dream away the day with these simple and stylish tropical paper flower leis. Our designer Krista had a blast making this colorful concept come to life. She created a set of SVG templates that make it easy for anyone to create a beautiful garland of flowers. Personalize your lei with unique paper and different lengths of string. Kick back, relax and let this papercut project take you to paradise!
Tools & Materials
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Cutting Machine (recommended)
- Text Weight Paper
- Baker’s Twine
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut out the flowers and leaves (a cutting machine is recommended). Curl the petals on the flowers using the edge of a pair of scissors. Fold the leaves and curl.
- Glue the tabs onto the flowers and attach to the other side. The two bigger flowers should have their petals curling out, and the small white flowers curling in.
- Roll the pink stamen pieces and glue in the center of the white flowers.
- Thread a long needle with twine and poke through the center of one of the biggest flowers.
- Slip a large leaf onto the twine through the slit opening and glue to the base of the big flower.
- Glue a small white flower onto the twine, about 1” from the previous flower. Glue a small leaf under the flower, on the opposite side of the twine.
- Thread through the center of the second largest flower and triple leaf. Glue the leaf to the bottom.
- Continue adding more flowers and leaves.
- Tie off into a lei when you reach the desired length. Our lei has 9 of each flower and leaves, with about 13 of the smallest leaves for variety.
We’re head-over-heels for our paper cutting machine from Cricut! Although this project can be completed by hand, a paper cutting machine makes it all the more simple. We found our text weight papers from Paper-Papers in the colors Fairway, Lime Satin, Jellybean Green, Emerald, Pink, Pink Lemonade, Gold, Cryogen White, but feel free to play around with a pallet of your own unique styling!
There’s More to Explore!
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and become a member for more DIY crafting made simple! Send us your questions and commentary – we love to hear from you! And remember to share photos of your projects using #LoveLia. All the best ~Lia & Team