It’s been a while since we’ve made some pom-pom animals! Back in April we got a request to make a pom-pom cardinal. However we decided to wait a bit as Krista thought it would be really cute to craft for the holidays. Now that it’s November, we’re going to show you how to make this pom-pom cardinal ornament for your Christmas tree.
Everything you need to start crafting is linked below. And you can use our pattern to make as many cardinal ornaments as you want!
Birds of a Feather Craft Together
This felt cardinal ornament is a great craft project for beginners. And it’s simple enough for kids to help with too. Our tutorial will show you how to use pom-pom makers to assemble the main body and then glue your felt pieces on to finish the look.
Once you’re done, just tie on a bit of gold embroidery floss and make a whole flock of them as ornaments for your holiday tree. We can’t wait to see your version!
Skill level: Beginner
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Detail Scissors
- Pom-Pom Maker
- Long Embroidery Needle
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Ruby and Cherry
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Christmas Red (321) and Gold
- Yarn — Red and Black
- Black Beads — 6mm
How to Make a Pom-Pom Cardinal Ornament
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download our pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine or scissors.
- Glue the two top beak pieces to the bottom so that it is double-sided.
- Next, glue together the two wing pieces, and the second, mirrored from the first wing. Glue together the two tail pieces.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love crafting for the holidays? Browse all of our Christmas crafts for more DIY ideas!
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.