With St. Patrick’s Day around the corner, we are channeling our inner Irish goddesses with this DIY fairy head wreath. The crown is adorned with shamrocks and pretty blooms, and we used the extra fine crepe for a more delicate look. This is a fun accessory to wear for St. Patrick’s Day, but you could also easily customize it for a party or wedding crown. This shamrock crown mixes beautiful greens with creamy whites and happy purples for a gorgeous design that you can show off any time of year.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Crepe Paper [Extra Fine: Cypress, White, Chiffon]
- 20 and 26 Gauge Floral Wire
- Paper Covered Floral Wire
- Floral Tape
- White Colored Pencil
- Art Markers (green, yellow, purple)
- Ribbon of Choice, 32 inches
- Gather tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template below and cut your crepe pieces according to the pattern, cutting with the grain lines.
- Glue a 3-inch piece of 26 gauge wire between 2 clover leaves with a slight overlap. Twist the base of the paper around the wire to make it look a bit more natural.
- Draw details on leaves with a white pencil.
- Bend clover leaves outward at the base and wrap 3 finished leaves together by the wire stems.
- Wrap the base of the clover with floral tape.
- Color the edge of the rectangle piece with yellow marker and fringe with scissors.
- Glue fringe around the end of a 20 gauge wire.
- Color the inner ends of the smaller petals with a green marker and the outer edge of the larger petals with a purple marker.
- Glue 5 petals around the base of the stamen evenly.
- Wrap the base of the flower with floral tape.
- Gently curl the petals outward with a skewer or chopstick. A pencil will also work for this.
- Repeat process to make a variety of small and big flowers.
- Create the head wreath base by twisting paper covered wire together twice over.
- Attach clovers and flowers to head wreath by wrapping the ends of floral wire around the paper wire securely.
- Cut ribbon in half and tie to the ends of the head wreath.
Find links for all the paper materials in Shop this Project below. If this is your first time crafting with crepe paper, we always recommend watching our Crepe Paper 101 video for tips and tricks on cutting and working with the material. To add the color details to the flowers, we used Copic brand markers, but any brush marker from your local craft store should work well. Our fairy head wreath is totally adjustable, and we especially love using the ribbon as an opportunity for more beautiful customization. Our favorite brand for ribbon is May Arts.
If you are feeling inspired to make more flower crowns, pop over to our peony and rose head wreath. Find all of crepe paper flower tutorials, and stay tuned for a potted shamrock project that is fabulous for adding a touch of greenery to your desk. Browse our St. Patrick’s Day crafts, or join in on the crafty fun on our membership page. Get in on the creative process by adding your project suggestions to the comments below – we love making reader inspired DIYs! Enjoy ~ Lia & Team