Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
New seasons mean new wall art. Time to embrace the lightness of spring! Here is a simple project that you may even be able to make with just the scrap materials that you already have in your craft room. We went for a Scandinavian, bohemian style with our design, but you easily customize the project. All that you need to make this DIY yarn wall hanging is some yarn, embroidery hoops and a simple wooden bead for decoration. This project is perfect for if you have any scrap yarn hanging around, and it can be a great introduction to making macrame projects.
Tools & Materials
- Yarn Needle
- 10″ Embroidery Hoop
- 7 1/5″ Embroidery Hoop
- Yarn in 3 different colors
- Wooden Bead
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Pop the solid inner rings out of the embroidery hoops.
- Precut yarn double the length you want it to hang down.
- Fold yarn in half and place loop under larger embroidery hoop.
- Pull the end of the yarn through the loop.
- Pull the end tight against the hoop. Continue looping yarn onto the embroidery hoop going the same direction.
- Fill in about 1/4 of the hoop with yarn.
- Repeat this process with the smaller hoop using a different yarn. If you use big fluffy yarn, you will probably need to cut and loop fewer strands.
- Lay the smaller hoop on top of the bigger one, matching the top edges. It is up to you which side you want to face out, one side being more knotted looking than the other.
- Tie a knot around the two hoops in a third yarn. Begin wrapping the top, leaving a big loop for hanging in the middle.
- Tie a knot at the base of the loop and continue wrapping the hoops together.
- Thread the end of the yarn onto a yarn needle and tie a knot. Tuck end into the wrapping on the back.
- Put a wooden bead on the loop and tie another knot.
- Hang up the yarn wall hanging and trim the yarn ends as desired.
Find the photo tutorial below for a visual guide to crafting a DIY yarn wall hanging.
We found all of our yarn at KnitPicks.com. Try to pick out 3 different colors of wool-mix yarn in various textures for more visual interest. We specifically used Super Tuff Puff in Silver, Wool of the Andes Superwash Bulky in Fjord Heather and Biggo Yarn in Bare, all of which have different thicknesses. Find links in Shop this Project below! Make your yarn tapestry in any color palette that matches your specific decor, and then style the wool in a way that reflects your personal taste. You can cut the ends in a V shape, at an angle, straight across or make an asymmetrical design.
After you finish with our yarn wall hanging tutorial, find all of our yarn tutorials for more inspiration. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily glimpses of our DIYs, or head to our membership page to start crafting with us. Always feel free to leave a comment with projects that you would like to see on the site next, we love getting you in on the creative process. And share your project photos using #DIYDreamingWithLia so we can admire your creative makes! Until next time ~ Lia & Team
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member