Citrus designs are great for home decor, especially for the kitchen. We’re bringing some orange and lemon slices into our life with an easy project to make citrus tea towels. Use them at your winter get-togethers, or gift them to friends for a handmade surprise. This project also features a wonderful method for crafting homemade stamps in general, so feel free to use this as inspiration to create your own designs too!
- Craft Knife
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Tea Towel(s)
- Foam Core
- Craft Foam/Fun Foam Sheets
- Acrylic Paint (yellow and orange)
- Fabric Medium
- Gather tools and materials listed above. Print the PDF template below.
- Cut 3 squares of foam core, then cut the citrus slices out of craft foam, according to the template.
- Glue the craft foam cutouts to the foam core squares to create the stamps.
- Mix equal parts paint and fabric medium in colors of your choice.
- Dab a generous amount of paint mixture onto stamp.
- Use a different color of paint for each of the three stamp sizes.
- Place a piece of paper under the fabric to prevent the paint from bleeding through. When the stamps are completely covered in paint, place carefully onto the fabric and press down firmly. Overlap some of the shapes or create your own arrangements.
- Finish stamping and let your towel dry completely.
We included three sizes of stamps in our templates for variety, so it is the perfect opportunity for exploring your creativity to create a design that reflects your individuality. Adding the fabric medium to the paint will make the paint adhere to the fabric better, so we definitely recommend using it. You will need to iron some brands of fabric medium in order for it to set, so look out for that on the packaging. We picked up our white tea towels at Sur La Table, but you should be able to find some nice linens at any home goods store. Play around with colors to match your decor!
Run With It
Find more citrus inspiration by browsing through all the projects in our Winter Citrus Series. If you would rather use your cutting machine to make citrus tea towels, check out our pretty iron on design instead. Head over to our membership page to get in on our crafting community, or get involved with our creative process by adding your project suggestions in the comments below. We love seeing your inspiring project photos, so share them with us on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia! Enjoy ~ Lia & Team