This starry night camping banner may look detailed but it’s actually a beginner-friendly project! Before getting started, you must have basic knowledge of your sewing machine for the banner itself, or you can always buy a premade banner. You will also need to know how to whip stitch, straight stitch, backstitch, and stitch french knots — all of which you can find in our embroidery guide.
Along with the banner pattern, you will find the pattern for all of the felt pieces to create your camping scene in our printable template and SVG file below.
Sweet Starry Dreams
Designed by Krista, this starry night camping banner features the most serene camping spot! This would be so sweet to hang up in a kid’s bedroom or playroom. And you can even set up an actual spot for them to “camp out” in with our play tent and campfire.
This project involves a few different crafting techniques and materials. So if you get stuck at any point, just reach out and we’ll do our best to help!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Ocean Blue, Tidepool, Bluebell, Moss, Juniper, Fern, Evergreen, White, Slate, Sweet Pea, Plum
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Dark Hunter Green (3345), Avocado Green (469), Very Light Avocado Green (471), Ultra Dark Pistachio Green (890), Dark Wedgewood (3842), Dark Delft Blue (798), Very Light Cornflower Blue (157), White (B5200), Dark Pewter Grey (413), Medium Mahogany (301), Very Light Plum (3608), Medium Antique Mauve (316)
- Duck Canvas Fabric — Black or Dark Blue
- Sewing Thread (to match canvas)
- 3/8″ Wooden Dowel — cut to 14″
- Cotton Twine
- Chipboard or Thin Cardboard — cut to 3.5” x 5“
How to Make a Starry Night Camping Banner
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Print, cut out, and tape together the paper pattern for the banner. Cut out canvas according to the pattern. You can use a canvas or heavy-weight cotton in dark blue or black to make the banner.
- Fold the sides and bottom edges over 1/2″ and sew with matching thread. Fold the top edge down 1″ and sew the edge to make a tube for the dowel to slide in. Iron the banner.
- Cut out the felt pieces according to the pattern.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Want more ideas like this one? Explore all of our kids’ decor ideas. Or check out more felt & fiber crafts and sewing projects.
For more DIY craft ideas and inspiration, join us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. You can also browse our video tutorials on paper flowers, home décor, and more.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.