Making your own home decor is so satisfying. Plus we love showing you how you can use simple, everyday craft materials to create something beautiful for your home. This wrapped yarn lantern is a great intermediate DIY project, and we’re here to help if you have any questions!
Just follow our step-by-step photo tutorial below. And be sure to check out our crafting tip before assembling your lantern.
Wrap yourself up and get cozy
If you’re thinking about switching up your home decor for fall, this wrapped yarn lantern is the perfect project to make right now. The soft glow peeking through the yarn creates such a soothing atmosphere. Plus neutral yarn decor always looks cozy!
Along with yarn, we used floral wire and macrame hoops to construct our pendant light. Normally we use those materials to make flowers and wreaths, so it was fun to think of another project where these craft supplies could shine.
Crafting Tips: We are calling this an intermediate DIY project because it’s a little hard to wrap the wires and get them even. Hang your frame and be sure that it hangs even before wrapping it with rope. If it isn’t hanging evenly, you can use your pliers to wrap the wire around the hoops a bit more to shorten the ones that may need it.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Macrame Hoop — 10″
- Macrame Hoop — 12″
- Euro Fitter Lampshade Ring Set — 14″
- 18-Gauge Wire
- Pendant Light Cord
- Bernat Maker Home Dec Yarn 8.8oz — Cream
- Spray Paint — Rust-Oleum in Ivory Silk
How to Make Wrapped Yarn Lanterns
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Feel free to use whatever kind of yarn color you prefer.
- Use pliers to wrap a 12″ 18-gauge wire twice around the lampshade ring.
- Add three 12″ wires total to the lampshade ring, one beside each crossbar.
- Attach the 10″ macrame hoop to the other end of the three wires; use a ruler to check the length of each wire and make sure all lengths are equal.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.