We have made a lot of DIY projects featuring adorable woodland creatures. So for Christmas this year, our designer Krista decided to create these paper woodland ornaments. I just love the detail on these and how they came together. Plus they look so cute on our little Christmas tree.
Since this is a more intricate pattern, we recommend using a cutting machine for this craft. But we have included a PDF template at the end if you want to use a craft knife to cut the pattern by hand. Also, if you want some other ideas for your tree, we have plenty of DIY ornaments for you to explore!
Create a Winter Wonderland
We went with white cardstock for our paper woodland ornaments to create the illusion of snow-covered trees, hills, and animals. You can always use a different color for your DIY version, of course! But there’s something so magical about snow at Christmastime. Also if it doesn’t snow where you live, this may be one way to enjoy the calm and peaceful feeling that looking at snow can bring.
These white paper woodland ornaments are also a great idea if you’re going for a Scandinavian look this Christmas. While there are many aspects that make up Scandinavian design, using neutral colors and nature-inspired designs are two key elements of Scandi style. If you’re still figuring out what style you’re going for this season, this post on DIY ornaments for any holiday style might help.
Whatever ornaments you make this year, I would love to see them! You can share your creations with us by posting pictures on Instagram and using the hashtag #MadeWithLia. And if you have any questions while crafting, just comment below. Happy holiday crafting! ~Lia and team
Skill level: Beginner
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cutting Machine (recommended)
- Craft Knife and Cutting Mat (if cutting by hand)
- Embroidery Needle
- White Cardstock Paper
- Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Effects Silver (E168)
- Scrapbook 3D Adhesive Foam Squares
How to Make Paper Woodland Ornaments
- Gather your tools and materials. Then download the pattern at the end of this post.
- Cut out paper pieces from white cardstock using a cutting machine (recommended) or by hand with a craft knife.
- Strategically place about 4–6 foam squares on the underside of the background piece—along the edges and a couple more near the middle. Stick that layer onto the backmost (sky) piece.
- Place 4—6 foam squares on the middle ground piece and layer it onto the background. Repeat for the foreground.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Get More DIY Ideas for the Holidays
If you love the woodland theme, you can explore all of our woodland projects here. Or browse all of our holiday crafts and ideas. For daily DIY inspiration, follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, or Facebook.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.