Today’s DIY project combines two of my favorite things — paper ferns and Halloween! One of the easiest ways to transform your favorite plant into some fun Halloween decor is to just use black paper. And that’s exactly what our designer Meagan did with this black paper fern.
No matter what level of crafter you are, you can easily craft your own black paper fern with our SVG file or PDF template. There are only six instructions to follow, so it’s very simple!
You will only need to cut eight leaves to create your black paper fern. To give your fern some more definition between the leaves, you can also cut leaves out of grey translucent vellum paper and add them to the undersides. Once you’re done, pair it with our black paper succulents and our needle-felted raven to create an even eerier Halloween display.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Text Weight Paper — PaperPapers Stardream Metallic Onyx
- Text Weight Translucent Vellum Paper — Charcoal Grey
- 24-Gauge Green Paper-Covered Wire
- Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue
- Floral Foam and Faux Moss
How to Make a Black Paper Fern
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the fern template below.
- Cut paper according to the template notes, using your scissors or a cutting machine.
- Glue a piece of wire in the middle of vellum fern leaf with tacky glue.
- Place a black paper fern leaf over the vellum fern leaf, gluing only where the wire lays.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Ready to start crafting with us? Explore our membership options here.