The beauty in making your baby’s clothes by hand is that you have the freedom to create adorable custom designs that you might not be able to find in stores. You only need a little bit of fabric to make baby clothes (depending on the size of your baby!), so these projects can also be fairly affordable, which we love. For this easy baby hat pattern, a quarter yard of fabric makes 3-4 hats, so feel free to use extras as gifts!
- Sewing Machine
- Twin Needles
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Sewing Gauge/Ruler
- Sewing Pins
- Polar Fleece (yellow, orange and green)
- Matching Threads
- Wool/Wool Blend Felt (white and green for the flowers)
- Yellow Embroidery Floss (for the center of the flower)
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF baby hat pattern below, pin to secure and cut your fleece.
- Use the template to cut the leaf and stem pieces out of felt.
- Roll the felt stem and glue to secure.
- With right sides of the fleece together, pin around the curves of the hat. Tuck in the stem at the top of the hat.
- Sew around the hat with a quarter-inch seam allowance.
- Without turning the hat right side out, fold up 1.5-inch hem and pin to secure. Now turn the hat right side out.
- Replace your regular needle with a twin needle, then add another spool of thread for the extra needle.
- Cut the petals of the flower out of white felt using the template.
- Apply a small bit of hot glue to the tab of the blossom, form a cone shape, then glue petals together.
- Apply a small bead of hot glue to leaves as shown in the photo tutorial, fold in half lengthwise and pinch to create the fold.
- Cut 24 inches of yellow embroidery floss, fold in half twice and tie a tight knot in the middle.
- Glue the knot to the base of the blossom. Trim of the excess floss to create the flower center.
- Glue the leaves around the stem, then glue the blossom to the front of the stem.
There are multiple templates for our baby hat pattern below. The lemon and the lime are the same shape, while there is a more rounded template for the orange. We have included two sizes: 0-3 months and 6-12 months. You will also find the template for the felt flower with the download. Feel free to adjust any of the sizes to fit your little ones more precisely!
Unlike other DIY sewing projects that we have shared in the past, this one uses a twin needle to create a professional-looking hem. Find a link in Shop this Project. To use a twin needle, you will need two spools of thread. The benefit of using a twin needle is that it makes the hem stretchable, so it is perfect for the edges of hats and t shirts. With a twin needle, you are guaranteed to have perfectly parallel lines without too much effort, so we definitely encourage you to try it out! Check out this photo to see the twin needle magic for yourself:minky pants and hat set. Browse through all of our baby projects, or leave a comment below with suggestions for projects you would like to see next! Take a look at our membership options to join our crafting community, or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for the latest and greatest. Enjoy! ~ Lia & Team