Paper air plants are easy to make and so fun to style. You could simply place them in a tiny pot, scatter them across your mantel, or use them as table decor. We also like to use them in our paper succulent arrangements. If you want to hang your air plants, though, we’ve come up with a crafty solution—an air plant holder made out of clay!
Even if you haven’t worked with clay before, we will show you exactly what to do in our tutorial. Plus we have a template for you to follow. All in all, it’ll only take you eight steps to craft this cute air plant holder.
Air hardening clay is great for a variety of craft projects. It’s easy to shape and doesn’t require any baking. Plus it dries within 24 hours, so you can enjoy what you made the very next day.
For this air plant holder, we used white clay so that we could paint it. There are lots of acrylic paints to choose from, so pick the ones you like best. We chose two colors from Blick—orange light and burnished copper.
When everything is dry, all you need is some string and wooden beads. And voila! Your air plant holder is all ready to hang.
If you want some more ideas for how to style your paper air plants, another fun and easy craft we just came up with is this paper air plant vase. Or if you want to hang more plants in general, we also have a few plant hanger tutorials. And don’t hesitate to ask for help if you have any questions! Happy crafting, friends! ~ Lia
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Printer Paper — 8.5″ x 11″
- DAS Air Hardening Modeling Clay — White
- Blick Matte Acrylic Paint — Orange Light and Burnished Copper
- Wooden Beads — 10mm and 14mm
How to Make an Air Plant Holder
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern at the end of the post.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out a piece of clay to about a 1/4″ thickness.
- Cut out the template with either your cutting machine or scissors.
- Place the template on the rolled-out clay and use a detail knife to trim the clay around the template.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Find More DIY Home Decor Ideas
For daily DIY ideas and inspiration, join us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. Or browse our YouTube channel for videos on how to make paper flowers, plants, and more. We love to hear your suggestions and feedback, so please share it with us anytime!
To join our crafting community and get access to patterns, tutorials, and more, head to our membership page!