We are kicking off our new fall collection with a flower that typically blooms throughout summer until September. So if you’re sad to see these flowers go soon, why not craft a few and enjoy them a lot longer? This is the first time we have designed a crepe paper black eyed Susan — and we will be showing you how to make this flower step by step during our Member Make workshop.
Below you’ll find a list of the tools and materials you’ll need. Plus you can download and cut the flower pattern ahead of time, then join us on September 18th at 11:00 a.m. PST for our live workshop! If you want to practice making this flower before we go live, we have also included a photo tutorial.
To make these crepe paper black eyed Susan flowers, we used our heavy crepe paper in mango. This is such a bright and cheerful color — perfect for fall! Considering black eyed Susans are part of the sunflower family, it’s also a great crepe paper color for making sunflowers.
You may have also noticed that some of the centers in our black eyed Susans look like eyeballs! Since we’re in Halloween mode, we couldn’t help but have some fun with it and make our flowers a little more “creepy.”
Ready to craft with us? We love that these flowers symbolize encouragement and motivation, which is exactly what Member Make is all about! If you haven’t joined us for Member Make before, be sure to read the instructions on how to participate. Otherwise, scroll on down for the tools and materials list plus the flower pattern.
How to Join Our Member Make Challenge
- Become a member and — if you want to meet other flower makers and get more crafting tips — join our Facebook page for members.
- Gather the craft tools and materials you need for this crepe paper black eyed Susan — listed below. Then download the printable flower template or SVG file at the end of this post.
- Join our YouTube Live on September 18th at 11:00 a.m. PST to craft this flower with us! We will share the link to join on the Facebook page for members and send it to members who are on our email list. It will also be available for playback here once the live workshop is over.
- Watch our video tutorial to craft along with us and create your own version of this crepe paper black eyed Susan. You can use different colors of paper, materials, or techniques; play around with your arrangement; or style your flowers in different ways.
- If you need some guidance, reach out to us and others in our crafting community. You can also post progress pictures or ask questions on our Facebook page for members. Make sure to use the hashtag #MemberMake on Instagram and Facebook so your project is easy to find.
- Lastly, share your final version of your crepe paper black eyed Susan flowers! You can post your pictures on our Facebook page for members or on your Instagram page with the hashtag #MemberMake.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Craft Scissors
- Curling Tool
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Art Sponge
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper — Tropical Garden: Mango
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper — Enchanted Garden: Onyx and Juniper
- Double-Sided Crepe Paper — Fern & Moss
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Cotton Spun Balls – 20mm (Medium)
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- 24-Gauge Green Paper Covered Wire
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- PanPastel Lia Griffith Designer Set — Orange (280.5)
- Blick Matte Acrylic Paint — Black and Brown
- Blick Studio Brush Markers — Saffron (068) and Butter Cream (096)
- Sakura Pigma Micron Pen — Black, 02
Want more projects like this one? Browse all of our crepe paper flowers for more ideas. Or see our previous Member Make workshops.
For daily craft inspiration, join us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. And stop by our YouTube channel for video tutorials on making flowers, home decor, and more.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
I’d like to offer a tip for folding crepe strips against the grain as is done for these stamen: after cutting the strips I line them up under a ruler and use either a bone folder or even the scoring stylus from my cutting machine to “score” them at the halfway point. The crushed crepeing is then super easy to fold against, and fold precisely!
Thank you for this helpful tip!
If I am reading the directions correctly, it says to cut two of the fine crepe in black, but don’t you use three? Two folded in half and sandwiched around the mango strip, and one folded in half on its own?. I was a little frustrated during the video that there were not more close ups. I don’t think you have as much detailed instructions in this video? Love the flowers!
Hi Susan – no, there are just 2 strips of Onyx and 1 strip of Mango. We make the stamen in the video at the 17:20 mark.
Hi! Just wondering whether extra fine crepe paper would work for the petals? I only have mango in extra fine so just trying to make it work! 🙂
Yes that will work!
Hi Lia & team,
I didn’t get a reminder either.
Hi, Mercia! We just checked our email platform and it shows that emails have been going out to you and that the last one you opened was our August Member Make reminder. Try checking your Promotions tab (if you have one) or typing Lia Griffith in your email search bar to see if any of our emails pop up. If they’re still not showing in your inbox, check your Spam folder. Hopefully they aren’t going there, but you never know! I actually just marked an email as spam the other day without realizing it! If you still aren’t seeing them after all those steps, please email us at email@example.com and we will follow up with our email provider to figure out why you aren’t getting our emails.
Hi Lia and team,
All good, I can get emails and notifications now. Thank you so much.
Oh good, I’m so glad to hear that!
Wonderful Member Make again!!!
I did not receive a reminder email this month. What can I do to correct this?
The live sessions are sooo much fun!
Thanks for the inspiration you send out!
Thank Elaine, so happy you could join us! We will look into why you may not have received a reminder email this month and get this sorted out. 🙂
Can people in Australia join your live workshop?
Of course! I’m not sure the time change will be at a reasonable hour for you but you’re always welcome to join us live, or catch the recording after 🙂
Dear Lea, could the length of the petals in the PDF template be incorrect? They are quite short when assembled compared to the photos. I am looking forward to a reply
Many thanks, Denise
The petals in the template are the correct size. Join us on Friday September 18th at 11am for the live member make!