What’s your favorite holiday flower? Today we’re showing you how to make a crepe paper version of a Christmas cactus. This way, you can enjoy it in full bloom for longer than just a few weeks! Follow our tutorial below to make your own version for the holiday season. Another great one to craft alongside this one is our crepe paper poinsettia.
The Christmas cactus is the perfect plant to craft during fall or winter. We made our crepe paper Christmas cactus with traditional red flowers. But you could make your own version with pink, orange, yellow, or white flowers.
We crafted our crepe paper Christmas cactus to look just like the real thing—with flattened leaf-like stems that hang downwards and bright, colorful flowers.For the flowers, we used our extra fine crepe paper and for the stems we used our double-sided crepe paper. We also used art markers and Panpastels to color our petals and stamen.
Since you are only painting one side of the crepe paper with a light coat of Mod Podge, it’s fine to cut this on a cutting machine (on your Cricut Maker, use the Denim setting with the rotary blade). Place the crepe paper on the mat with the Mod Podge facing up.
If you make this Christmas cactus or one of our other holiday projects, we’d love to see it! Make sure to share your DIY creations with us using the hashtag #MadeWithLia. We may just repost it on our social pages or in our weekly email.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cutting Machine (recommended)
- Detail Scissors
- Pinking Shears — Zig Zag
- Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Lia Griffith Extra Fine Crepe Paper in Cherry (from Enchanted Garden Collection) and Linen (from Secret Garden Collection)
- Lia Griffith Double Sided Crepe Paper in Ferns + Moss
- Art Markers — Blick Studio Markers in Canary Yellow (014) and Magenta (077)
- PanPastel® Artist Pastel – Magenta 430.5
- Floral Wire – 24-Gauge Paper Covered Green
- Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- Mod Podge – Matte
- 1. Gather tools and materials.
- Using a paint brush, paint 4 sheets of 12×10” double sided green crepe paper with Mod Podge.
- Cut the crepe paper according to template notes using scissors or a cutting machine.
- Use tacky glue to attach the small piece of white crepe to the tip of a wire.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here.
Excited to make more crafts for the holidays? Make sure to browse our Thanksgiving projects as well as our Christmas crafts. If you’re just a fan of cacti plants in general, we have some other fun cactus crafts on our site, too.
To make this project and many more, become a member! As a member, you get access to all of our SVG cut files, PDF templates, and step-by-step instructions to make your own paper flowers, home décor, and more.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.