One of the greatest things about crafting is all of the wonderful discoveries that can happen while you’re creating, learning, and trying new things. In celebration of those unexpected moments that can be so rewarding, we are showing you how to make crepe paper cosmos cupcakes today!
If you’re unfamiliar with cosmos cupcakes, this flower variety was a happy accident, discovered in 2007 by a gardener in California. After spotting some cosmos in her garden with unique cup-shaped blooms, she saved the seeds, planted them, and nurtured them for years. Once the unique trait was stabilized, she sold the seeds to a horticultural company in England that’s known for developing unusual plants. Now, it’s their best-selling seed and has even won an award! Pretty amazing, right?
We just love the story of how this pretty flower came into the world. It really relates to the art of paper flower-making, too. Sometimes, something that seems like a mistake can actually lead to an important discovery. That’s why we always encourage you to experiment, exercise your creativity, and keep growing!
While the real blooms of cosmos cupcakes are gorgeous, they don’t last more than a few days. But of course, when you craft flowers out of paper, you can enjoy them in your home forever. You can also get creative with it, try new colors, and experiment with different materials.
For our crepe paper cosmos cupcakes, our designer Meagan used a combination of both extra-fine and heavy crepe paper. Considering the outside blooms look like a cupcake wrapper, crepe paper lends itself beautifully to this delicate flower. Everything else we used to make this flower is linked below! Just follow our tutorial to learn how to create the cupcake bloom and how to shape the petals so they curve upward and inward.
If you have any questions, just comment below. And please share your flowers with us! We’d love to see pictures of your crepe paper cosmos cupcakes and hear what you thought of making this flower. So be sure to tag #MadeWithLia on your Instagram and Facebook pictures. Here’s to happy accidents and new discoveries! ~ Lia and team
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper — Secret Garden: Cypress and Linen
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper — English Garden: Nectarine and Vanilla
- PanPastel Lia Griffith Designer Set — Bt Yellow Green and Pearlescent Red
- Thick Paper-Covered Stem Wire
- 26-Gauge Floral Bind Wire
- Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue
How to Make Crepe Paper Cosmos Cupcakes
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the flower pattern at the end of this post.
- Cut crepe paper according to template notes, using your scissors or Cricut Maker.
- Stretch center piece of crepe paper. Fold center piece in half; then fringe on fold.
- Wrap and glue your center piece of crepe around tip of wire.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
To download this paper flower pattern and get instant access to thousands of DIY projects plus a private Facebook group full of all levels of crafters, join our crafting community!