As seen in Better Homes & Gardens, our crepe paper magnolia leaf garland is a gorgeous DIY accessory for dressing up your home this winter season. Craft along with our straightforward photo tutorial to make this masterpiece today! A beautiful accent for a mantel, window or doorway, or even a Holiday tree. Happy crafting…
Tools & Materials
- Scissors or Cricut Maker
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Wire Cutters
- Heavy Floristic Crepe Paper in White
- Foam Ball – 1.5”
- Copper Wire – 20-gauge
- Cotton Cord
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut out the leaves according to the template notes using scissors.
- Glue two leaf halves together with the grain facing in opposite directions so the grain comes to a point in the middle.
- Wrap the copper wire around the foam ball about ten to fifteen time. Cut with the wire cutters.
- Remove the foam ball from the middle and reshape the wire into a ball shape.
- Cut seven feet of cotton cord and begin gluing the leaves on about eight inches down the cord. Layer the leaves so they all face the same direction.
- Continue gluing the leaves onto the cord. Leave about eight inches of cord on each end for hanging.
- Create volume by pulling back some of the leaves, then place your wire balls in the garland by sticking one end of the wire ball through a leaf.
Become a Member!
Sign up for your Lia Griffith membership to start crafting with us today! For more DIY inspiration, join us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Remember to use #MadeWithLia when sharing photos of your latest projects, and always feel free to reach out with your questions and feedback! Until next time ~ Lia & Team
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
Thanks for your quick response. Wow 500 leaves that will be quite a project considering I want to make this for 2 windows. I need to rethink how I want to go about this. This is a very beautiful garland though.
You can space them out more if you want to. This is very thick and dense.
This Garland is beautiful. About how many leaves need to be cut out for this garland and how much Crepe Paper is needed?
Hi Laura, this is an older project so we do not have the exact amount of crepe paper we used. For leaf quantity, it will depend on how long you want it and how thick you place your leaves. The one in the photo has approximately 500 leaves. For that, I would suggest you start with 4 packs of the heavy crepe paper. If you want it in cream we have a sale on the extra-fine creme in the long sleeves and that would look lovely as well.