If you’re searching for home décor that works well for both fall and winter, these crepe paper Queen of the Night lilies are the perfect DIY project. And they complement Halloween decor, too! You could put these flowers in a simple black vase or do what we did and place them in a skull. Once Halloween is over, you can always move these to a different vase.
Ok, that’s probably not true. We have other dramatic flowers and wreaths! But if you’ve ever watched the Bachelor or Bachelorette show, you’ll get the joke. Anyway, we call the Queen of the Night lily a dark and dramatic flower because of its deep purplish red, almost black petals. To recreate this color for our paper Queen of the Night lilies, our design Meagan used our extra fine crepe paper in aubergine and applied a black painting pastel to the petals and the leaves. She also layered in a few black feathers and added some gorgeous copper accents, which really make these flowers shine.
So, yes, the colors are what make these crepe paper Queen of the Night lilies a good one to keep out during fall and winter. Also, if you have a pet, this is a great flower to make out of paper since the real version is highly toxic to both cats and dogs.
Ready to make your own lilies? Just gather the tools and materials below and follow our simple instructions. If you’re using a cutting machine, you can download our SVG file below. Or you can use our printable PDF if you’re cutting this pattern by hand.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Crepe Paper — Lia Griffith Extra Fine Crepe Paper in Evergreen, Onyx, Aubergine, and Copper
- Sculpey Clay in Suede Brown
- 24-Gauge Green Paper Covered Floral Wire
- 18-Gauge Green Paper Covered Floral Stem Wire
- Blick PanPastel Painting Pastels in Pearl Medium Black Fine (013)
- Tacky Glue
- Gather tools and materials.
- Cut crepe paper according to template notes using scissors or the Cricut Maker.
- Form brown clay into stamen and pistil.
- Cut six 8″ wires using wire cutter.
- Bend 1/4″ of tip of wire using pliers.
- Attach stamen pieces to wires.
- Next, attach three pieces of pistil to a single wire.
- Bake according to instructions on sculpey packaging.
- Attach pistil and stamen to stem wire using floral tape. Arrange with pistil in the center and stamen surrounding.
- Apply glue to wire and place it along the edge of one petal. Attach other half by overlapping wire. Repeat method with the leaves and feathers.
- Fringe the edge of the feather along grain lines using detail scissors.
- Apply and blend PanPastel color using sponge.
- Glue three petals around the flower center using floral tape.
- Stagger last three petals and add leaves. Then shape petals.
Want more seasonal DIY décor ideas?
We’ve got tons of Halloween ideas for you to explore! And we’ll be sharing new projects on our social pages, too. So make sure to follow us from your favorite social platform! You can find us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
Also, we encourage you to share your seasonal projects with us, too—even if you’re new to crafting! Just post your DIY creations on Instagram or Facebook and use the hashtag #MadeWithLia so we can find it easily. We may just repost it on our social pages or share what you’ve made in our weekly email.
You can also become a member to gain access to all of our DIY projects. This includes printable patterns, SVG files, easy tutorials, and more. Head on over to our membership page now to see our two membership options as well as the full list of membership perks. Happy crafting! ~Lia and team