DIY candles are simple, very practical and give you hours of enjoyment for your handmade craft. I love to fill my home with these small treasures and make additional candles that I can give as gifts throughout the year. Though summer is not peak candle weather, burning citronella candles in your outdoor living spaces add a fresh fragrance while keeping the mosquitos at bay.
Like a Candle in the Wind
When creating our outdoor candle, we started with a large, low container we found at the floral supply store. Keeping the large candle shallow and adding multiple wicks will help it burn evenly. Check out your garden store for unique shapes of pots and containers that would create a nice candle display. Once you have your container selected, simply gather the tools and materials listed below, then follow along with our photo tutorial or downloadable set of instructions. This project guarantees to keep your summer burning bright!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Container for Candle (We found ours at our local flower market)
- Soy Wax
- Citronella Essential Oil
- Waxed Wicks
- Gather tools and materials.
- Anchor the wicks to your chosen container using hot glue.
- Use the skewers to hold the wicks straight in the container.
- Measure the wax, if using flaked wax double what fills your container as it will reduce down to about one half when in solid form.
- Melt the wax in a double boiler, mix in the citronella, about 3 drops per cup of wax used.
- Pour the melted wax into the container.
- Allow the wax to cool until solid.
- Trim the wicks down to about 1 inch.
Create Amazing Projects in No Time!
We are here to help you explore your creativity with daily inspiration, downloadable cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower us. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with the LG community by using #MadeWithLia — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY project tutorials complete with pattern downloads and instructions. Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy crafting! ~ Lia and Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.