When making yarn pom-poms, there is no reason you need to keep your poms circular. You can easily create new designs with just a few snips from your scissors! Today we’re showing you how to make DIY citrus keychains by shaping your poms in lemons and oranges.
Add a felt blossom at the top for extra flair and you have yourself an adorable way to keep your keys organized and easy to find when they are in your purse.
When Life Hands You Lemons, Make DIY Keychains!
Tools & Materials
- Pom Pom Maker
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Craft Scissors
- Yarn (orange and yellow)
- Wool/Wool Blend Felt (white and green)
- Yellow Embroidery Floss
- Key Ring
Instructions for DIY Citrus Keychains
- Use your pom-pom maker to make your orange and yellow poms, leaving a tail of yarn.
- Gently trim the yellow poms with scissors into a lemon shape.
- Print the PDF template below and use the pattern as a guide for cutting your felt.
- Follow the photo tutorial here for crafting your felt blossoms.
- Use hot glue to attach the blooms to the poms.
- Tightly tie the poms to key rings with the tail of yarn; then cut away any excess.
You can use any size of pom-pom maker to make these; it just depends on how large you want your keychains to be. If you are shaping your poms into lemons, you will want to use a larger pom maker because you will be trimming away so much yarn. For reference, check out our easy pom-pom tutorial.
When making your DIY citrus keychains, feel free to add little variations as you craft. They would look especially cute with a shrink film leaf to match! We included two sizes of the felt bloom template so you can choose which goes best with your pom.
For another easy DIY keychain project, take a look at our pretty wooden bead keychain. Browse through all the DIYs in our Winter Citrus Series to add more lemon-y accents to your life, or head over to our membership page to start crafting with us. We love admiring your creative successes, so please share your project photos with us! Email them in, or tag them on Instagram with #MadeWithLia. Enjoy! ~ Lia & team