This DIY faux fur scarf is a project that we made to match our adorable knit hat with the attachable fur pom on top. We’re feeling cozier just looking at the photos, let alone wearing this fabulous scarf in the freezing weather! Customize this project with your favorite faux fur and you are ready to make a winter fashion statement that reflects your individual style.
- Sewing Machine
- Rotary Cutting Ruler
- Permanent Marker (for marking your fabric)
- Hand Sewing Needles
- Faux Fur
- Matching Thread (for hand-sewing the ends)
- After gathering your tools and materials, use your ruler and marker to evenly mark your cutting lines.
- Cut along your marked lines. We recommend referencing our tips and tricks for sewing with faux fur to learn more about techniques for cutting the material!
- Tuck and pin the side seam and ends.
- Using a quarter-inch seam allowance, sew the side seam and ends, leaving a 6-inch opening on the side.
- Turn the scarf right side out through the opening in the side, and then hand stitch the opening closed with a whip stitch. Follow our photo tutorial below for a visual guide!
There are lots of types of faux fur, and we found ours at our local fabric shop. We decided to use a fur with a shorter pile (the pile is the length of the fur) for a more elegant look, but you can choose something with a longer pile for a fun alternative. Bolts of fur come in a few different sizes, so decide how long and wide you want to make your scarf before buying your fabric. You can find some of our measurements in the printable instructions below. After picking out your fur, make sure to read our tips and tricks for sewing with faux fur. It took us less than an hour to bring this DIY faux fur scarf to life – well worth it for some winter warmth!
Stay Cozy With More Fur Projects
If you’re curious about working more with the material, browse through all of our faux fur projects on the site. For more cozy-inspired DIYs, be sure to take a look at our homemade hand warmers, another simple project that will make your life better this season! Head over to our membership page to start crafting with us, or leave us a comment with project suggestions for our next DIY. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.