If you’ve been wanting to do a pretty hand stitching project that you can finish in an afternoon, a DIY felt banner is a wonderful option. Once you hang it on your wall, you’ll be able to admire the charming design while also remembering that you made it completely from scratch. Our designer Krista came up with this adorable scene, drawing inspiration from a whimsical Alice in Wonderland-like fantasy. She chose a soft color palette with blush pinks and mustard yellow, but you can easily customize the colors to reflect your personal style.
- Sewing Needle
- Yarn Needle
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine
- Small Pom Pom Maker
- Wool/Wool Blend Felt (blush, light pink, white, saffron, steel blue)
- Embroidery Floss (blush, white, saffron)
- Blush Pink Yarn
- Air Dry Fabric Marker
- 14″ Wooden Dowel
- Craft or Fabric Glue
- Gather tools and materials listed above.
- Print PDF banner template below and cut canvas.
- Fold and press the 4 bottom edges over a quarter-inch and sew closed. Fold the top down 1 inch, press and sew closed with your sewing machine to make a tube for the wooden dowel.
- Cut your felt pieces according to the pattern in the template.
- Glue the stem of the mushroom to the light pink cap. Stitch long straight lines with white embroidery floss, going from the center stem outward. You can use an air dry fabric marker to help guide your stitches.
- Seed stitch some details onto both of the mushroom stems in white (see photo tutorial below).
- Draw a spiral on the snail shell with marker, and straight lines on the two leaves. Sew a running stitch over the lines with saffron colored floss.
- Assemble and glue the felt pieces onto the canvas banner, following the illustration on the template.
- Straight stitch stems in blush pink floss just under the six pink circles.
- Make a pink yarn pom pom with a small pom pom maker and trim. Thread a short length of yarn through a yarn needle.
- Use needle to string yarn through the center of the pom pom and knot the ends. Pull the loop so the knot is hidden in the pom.
- Slide the wooden dowel into the banner and tie a length of twine onto both ends of the dowel. Hang the pom pom on one end (you can use a bit of glue to hold in place).
You can find each of the materials you will need at your local craft store. We usually like getting our felt from Benzie Design, Felt on the Fly and A Child’s Dream Come True. Feel free to choose your own color palette to match your specific home decor! The yarn pom pom is optional, but we liked the cute little addition. After you finish your banner, we love the idea of using it for nursery decor. If you’re feeling inspired, you can use this DIY felt banner technique with your own designs!
Strut Your Stuff
We love seeing your creations, so please share them with us on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia, or by emailing them in! Our projects always seem to have that extra special quality when they are inspired by readers, so feel free to leave a comment with your project requests and suggestions. Head to our membership page to start crafting with us, or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily glimpses into our newest projects. If you love felt, be sure to browse all of our felt projects here! Enjoy ~ Lia & Team