Plant hangers are a classic DIY, and often you will come across macrame tutorials, like our easy DIY plant hanger or braided macrame plant holder. We have been on a bit of a leather kick lately, so our maker Meagan created this lovely DIY leather plant hanger project to add to our collection! This leather plant holder idea is not an original one (there are lots of similar tutorials floating around!), but it is a wonderful and simple project that you can easily customize for your specific home decor.
- X-acto Knife or Cutting Machine
- Wire Cutters
- Tubing Cutter
- 8 x 8″ Leather Scrap
- 1mm Copper Tubing
- Wooden Geometric Beads
- Flat Copper Wire
- Round Leather Cording
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print out the template and place it on top of the leather. Cut through the paper to score the leather with an x-acto knife, or cut the leather with a cutting machine (you will need to use faux leather if you use a cutting machine).
- Cut along the score lines with your scissors.
- Cut a 1″ piece of flat copper wire, then cut four 3″ pieces of copper tubing using a tubing cutter.
- Cut two 40″ pieces of leather cording.
- Line the cords up evenly, then fold them in half. Take the 1″ flat copper wire and wrap it around the cords, leaving a loop at the top.
- Take the four 3″ copper tubes and thread one onto the end of each cord.
- Place the cord through each hole in the leather and tie a knot to secure.
For a visual guide, follow our DIY leather plant hanger photo tutorial below.
We are fortunate enough to have a leather store in our neighborhood, but if you are unsure where to buy leather where you live, we would recommend going to your local craft store to see if they have a scrap bin you can rummage through. Print our PDF template if you are cutting by hand, or download the SVG file to use with a cutting machine. If you are using a machine, you will need to use faux leather rather than real leather. Real leather is softer and more malleable, so the machine will not be able to cut as precisely.
Once you cut your leather pieces, you can dress up the plant hanger with little accents. As you can see in our photos, we used copper tubing for one hanger and polygon wooden beads for another. These are just two ideas! You can use different colors of cording, or add some hanging accents from the bottom of the leather. Whatever you end up doing, it’s a perfect opportunity to let your creativity shine 😉
If you love the idea of making your own leather projects, browse our growing collection of leather craft tutorials. Find our DIY botanicals for inspiration on what to stick into your leather plant hanger, and please share your project photos with us so we can admire your makes! Post onto Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia or email them in. Join our community of DIYers to find the unique creativity that lives in you, and follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily updates on what we’re up to. See you there! ~ Lia & Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.